Splitter question (up/down lever)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flbosco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Folks, I have a 31 ton spiltter about 15 years old, and has seen a lot us use over those years. Wedge should stop downward movement when you remove your hand from the lever,but now it does not. I thought reason was that it was maybe low on fluid, but fluid level is ok.

Any suggestions on what is needed to fix? Has something inside the lever housing worn out?

Thanks

Without knowing what kind of valve you have, it is hard to say what is wrong.

I may be dirty and gummed-up. Try spraying penatrating oil around the plunger and see if that helps.

It could be a broken spring inside the housing. You will have to do some dis-assembly to inspect.

Some valves have a detent in both positions. Depending on what they get used for some will have an adjuster on them so they don't go into the detent position for the extend stroke. With age you might need to re-adjust.

Worst case scenerio, the valve is worn out and you will need to re-build or replace.

Hope this helps.

If your valve is worn out, drop me a PM with your addy and for the cost of shipping, I will send you one I have out in the barn. It's just taking up space out there.

Ian

Latest posts

Back