Splitter valve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a little off topic, but reading the OP, i have a question:

in lieu of a hydraulic cylinder to operate a log lift, could a hydraulic motor be used instead?

the heaviest load is only going to be at most a couple hundred pounds...surely a hydraulic motor could handle that.

200lbs x 36"(est) throw is 7200 in-lbs which is a lot for most hydraulic motors. They make them with more but they are $400 and up. You can buy several cylinders for less.

Most motors are not designed to have a side load on the output shaft so putting a lever or winch drum on the output should have an overhung load adapter bolted to the nose.

Don

200lbs x 36"(est) throw is 7200 in-lbs which is a lot for most hydraulic motors. They make them with more but they are $400 and up. You can buy several cylinders for less.

Most motors are not designed to have a side load on the output shaft so putting a lever or winch drum on the output should have an overhung load adapter bolted to the nose.

Don

heh...good point, don, i didn't consider the lenght of the arm with the weight on it.

Scrap yard valves are o.k. if a guy really knows what he's getting - You could wind up with a closed center, single acting, or something with oddball thread you're going to have to spend more $$$ on for adapters. Or, you'll get it all hooked up & it'll leak. Northern Tools sells Made in USA Prince valves for about 70.00 last time I looked, 3/4 in & out, 1/2 work ports. I don't think you can beat that -

believe it or not, around here shopping at scrap yards is out. many don't or refuse to sell to the public. when i needed an beam for my splitter, i called and went to numerous ones and they all said the same thing: don't sell to the public.

Scrap yard valves are o.k. if a guy really knows what he's getting - You could wind up with a closed center, single acting, or something with oddball thread you're going to have to spend more $$$ on for adapters. Or, you'll get it all hooked up & it'll leak. Northern Tools sells Made in USA Prince valves for about 70.00 last time I looked, 3/4 in & out, 1/2 work ports. I don't think you can beat that -

======

Thats what I'm looking for,

Thanks

Back