Splitter wedge adjustment???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyOne

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have one of the original MTD 25T splitters with the full "I" beam. I noticed while looking at a friend's splitter the other day that my wedge plate has more play in it than his does. By play, I mean if you were to look at the wedge plate in the horizontal position, it could be lifted off the "I" beam about 1/2". Is that normal? I could easily adjust it by cutting the spacers so it rides closer to the beam. I know it shouldn't have side movement and there is an adjustment for that.

I guess what what I'm asking is is too much play a bad thing?

Thanks.

nah it should be fine

I would not mess with it unless you can see that it could ever tilt enough to bind the cylinder.

I know the newer MTD/Yard Machines splitters have brass bars that act as bushings for the wedge to run along the beam. Maybe check into that.

Otherwise I agree with these guys....most of the time when you start splitting a log it pushes the wedge down against the beam.

i made mine with only 1/8 " play. i didn't want any surprises and i wanted to be sure the ram and slide stayed in place when under a heavy load.

my theory was less play = less problems.

Back