Splitter ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HadleyPA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok so after about 10 years of burning wood and always borrowing a splitter I am looking to get my own. What I need to know is if anyone has any experience with the 22 ton that TSC sells. I have seen quite a few advertised and have a chance to get one 2 yrs old with very little use at a good price. What I want to know is with the way the wedge is setup does it become a problem with bark and debris getting into the "track" that the wedge rides in on each side? Every splitter I have ever used has the wedge wrapping down over the beam and these have the beam wrapping up over the wedge. Does this become a problem? I have visions of the "track" that the wedge rides in getting full of sawdust and bark and jamming everything up or getting bent down when a big lunker is loaded onto it and thus creating too much unneeded resistance. I know that they tip up for the big pieces but sometimes it is just quicker to lift them and keep going rather taen taking the time to make it vertical.
Anybody have any experience with one that would be able to lend me some insight?
Thanks in advance.

Ok so after about 10 years of burning wood and always borrowing a splitter I am looking to get my own. What I need to know is if anyone has any experience with the 22 ton that TSC sells. I have seen quite a few advertised and have a chance to get one 2 yrs old with very little use at a good price. What I want to know is with the way the wedge is setup does it become a problem with bark and debris getting into the "track" that the wedge rides in on each side? Every splitter I have ever used has the wedge wrapping down over the beam and these have the beam wrapping up over the wedge. Does this become a problem? I have visions of the "track" that the wedge rides in getting full of sawdust and bark and jamming everything up or getting bent down when a big lunker is loaded onto it and thus creating too much unneeded resistance. I know that they tip up for the big pieces but sometimes it is just quicker to lift them and keep going rather taen taking the time to make it vertical.
Anybody have any experience with one that would be able to lend me some insight?
Thanks in advance.
I can't speak for the 22 ton unit but on the 35 ton model there are 2 holes at the edge of the beam just in front of the foot.Most of the debris falls through these holes.What does build up can be chiped out at the end of the day-not a big deal.

Its a great splitter. I have used a 22t Huskee from TSC for several years. Bark getting stuck in the wedge "track" is a non issue. The wedge just kind of floats in the beam. It isn't a very tight fit. When in horizontal mode the bark just gets pushed out the end by the cylinder mount. In horizontal mode it can kind of build up near the foot but I have never had to stop splitting to clean it out

I just shut mine down a half hour ago after running the tank dry and needing a beer. Long afternoon of bucking and carrying by hand through the mud. :D

It's a good design IMO. No problems with the beam getting jammed up, it's pretty much self-cleaning.
Streblerm just posted, so my post is redundant.
But like Cantoo said above, they're relatively inexpensive brand new with a warranty. Anything even close to new price would be a no-go. Half at best if it looks clean and well cared for.

Only time I had much accumulation at the foot like that with my DHT was when the bark was crumbly and wet. Even then, it wasn't much of a problem. I just cleaned the slots out with a stick every couple hours. Given normal dry wood, it hasn't been an issue at all.

To repeat what others have said, I just love mine.
I have the briggs motor on it, and I changed the oil after 5 hours like the book said to.
No issues at all, the tray does get some stuff in it, but it is easy to clean it out.
If kept in the HOrizontal only mode like I do, you will see behind the wedge you will get some bark, sticks ect, I just wipe off when I am done for the evening.
I like that I have a warranty, I even bought the extended, so to buy a used one? I spent just over $1,000 for mine at a TSC store.

Latest posts

Back