Splitting 100 cord a year ........with an axe !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three things I noticed --

1) Polished ax so it's slippery in the wood;
2) Razor sharp;
3) He has phenomenal control -- not only aim, like cutting the match in half -- which I think I could do with a fair amount of practice and concentration, that's like learning to be good with a rifle...but depth. The control of his depth is what impressed me -- he was splitting those logs without wasting time/effort driving it too deep. You saw very few splits go flying off to the sides, and that razor sharp ax was never coming close to the ground. "Reading wood" to see the cracks and aiming for them is one thing; reading wood to gauge how hard to hit it and adjust on every swing is taking it to a 'nother level.

This guy is a wood splitting machine!!!

[video=youtube;95Z2UXEFUIw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Z2UXEFUIw&sns=em[/video]

Now let's try it again and this time use ELM! :laugh:

A two-stage pump on that splitter wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I'd take him to the cleaners. He needs to line them up in row and knock em' down, that and get a Fiskars.

Yup. Lots of wasted time getting the rounds out one at a time. Imagine what he could do if he had a second person setting up the rounds and re-setting up the not-quite-small-enough pieces.

Nice vid! Anyone ID his saw?

His buster and technique looks OK to me, reasonably fast. Not incredibly fast, but plenty good enough. Really impressive stacks though, that guy *worked* at that. I did see his skidder in the background as well.

Looks like a Jonsered to me .

"standing on about 100 cords of wood"
"all cut from over 1000 trees"

- no way thats 100 cords of wood
- how tiny are those trees that each one is 1/10th of a cord..? o_O

this guy is BSer - 40 yrs later or not, someone find his info and lets call him out.

Speed is part of efficiency. What "grade" are you in? lol.

One of my buddy's favorite lines is, " I'm very well educated, I spent over 8 years in high school" ;)

Looks like that was from the 70's. I don't think he's swinging like he used to. Everything has it's place and it's nice to be in a place where we are still allowed, for now anyway, to choose. I still swing a maul occasionally but when you get to the tough stuff the Hydraulics come in.

I got some wavy grain beech(knot free) that I'll sit back and laugh at anybody try to split with ANY maul, axe. Dang hard to get a wedge started in it without a starter slice with a saw. Just bounces out even with baby taps.

I did it!

First match from a new box I just got at the no ethanol station when buying some mix fuel, got home, couldn't wait, grabbed the fiskars, sixth swing! Had to warmup a little first, then *slice*.

Go ahead redneckersons, beat the geezer hippie! BWAHAHAHAHA!

{voice mode="Jesse Ventura"} ...Go ahead! Why splitting a match long ways will make ya a sexual Tyrannosaur" {/"Jesse Ventura"}

Pics and it DID happen! Special thanks to my GF for having a good sense of color and finding the second half of the match. I made a big mistake, was excited to try it, and used my regular block on top of the split trash area! Both chunks went flying, left and right. I found one but she had to find the other one. Took her 5 seconds to spot the red on the match head, I couldn't see it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Couple bonus pics from this morning, out in the swamp woods with some cutting buddies, sitting on an oak I dropped the other day

attachment.php

attachment.php

First match from a new box I just got at the no ethanol station when buying some mix fuel, got home, couldn't wait, grabbed the fiskars, sixth swing! Had to warmup a little first, then *slice*.

Go ahead redneckersons, beat the geezer hippie! BWAHAHAHAHA!

{voice mode="Jesse Ventura"} ...Go ahead! Why splitting a match long ways will make ya a sexual Tyrannosaur" {/"Jesse Ventura"}

Pics and it DID happen! Special thanks to my GF for having a good sense of color and finding the second half of the match. I made a big mistake, was excited to try it, and used my regular block on top of the split trash area! Both chunks went flying, left and right. I found one but she had to find the other one. Took her 5 seconds to spot the red on the match head, I couldn't see it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Couple bonus pics from this morning, out in the swamp woods with some cutting buddies, sitting on an oak I dropped the other day

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thats great !!!
I must try now!
As far as the ol lady goes I don't even bother tring to find things anymore I just save my self a bunch of time and just go get her.
Wrong Ventura, Jim Carey- Firemarshall Bill "Letmeshowyasumptin" places strike anywhere match on log, hits it w/ ax, BOOM, runs around on fire.

Last edited:

Nice shootin', Tex! Now I'm going to have to try that!! :msp_thumbsup:

BTW - I love the facial hair, but those size glasses went out of style 25 years ago. Just sayin.'

Just joshin' ya! ;):laugh::msp_tongue:

"standing on about 100 cords of wood"
"all cut from over 1000 trees"

this guy is BSer - 40 yrs later or not, someone find his info and lets call him out.

Yep, plus I bet if we find him and challenge him to do the race again, he couldn't do it.

He probably told the TV crew it was 10 cords and they added a zero for better ratings. Of course now everything is real on TV since we have reality TV.

Three things I noticed --

1) Polished ax so it's slippery in the wood;
2) Razor sharp;
3) He has phenomenal control -- not only aim, like cutting the match in half -- which I think I could do with a fair amount of practice and concentration, that's like learning to be good with a rifle...but depth. The control of his depth is what impressed me -- he was splitting those logs without wasting time/effort driving it too deep. You saw very few splits go flying off to the sides, and that razor sharp ax was never coming close to the ground. "Reading wood" to see the cracks and aiming for them is one thing; reading wood to gauge how hard to hit it and adjust on every swing is taking it to a 'nother level.

When splitting would it is better to just smack the wood with the axe instead of a monster swing that will bury the axe in the wood? Is the same technique used with a fiskers ss or do you want to penetrate deep with the ss?

Yep, plus I bet if we find him and challenge him to do the race again, he couldn't do it.

He probably told the TV crew it was 10 cords and they added a zero for better ratings. Of course now everything is real on TV since we have reality TV.

I'm no math wizard but who counts the number of trees they cut down, 1000 trees wouldn't that be considered a national park.:laugh:

Nice shootin', Tex! Now I'm going to have to try that!! :msp_thumbsup:

BTW - I love the facial hair, but those size glasses went out of style 25 years ago. Just sayin.'

Just joshin' ya! ;):laugh::msp_tongue:

Those are prescription safety glasses. You can't it clearly, but they have the side shields as well. I just wear them all the time. People around here are used to seeing me like I am, I get first name greetings every place I go, that or they go "Hey mountainman, how ya doing"! stuff like that..

When splitting would it is better to just smack the wood with the axe instead of a monster swing that will bury the axe in the wood? Is the same technique used with a fiskers ss or do you want to penetrate deep with the ss?

SPEED accuracy (hitting the cracks) and reading the wood and keeping track of which species split which way, etc. I do straight overhead and come down fast. You got to get that speed up for it to work well. Do that, and what force you need will be there, no giant grunt power involved, just flat out speed and accuracy.

If the wood is splitting easy, I pull at the last millisecond and get the axe travelling back up again, ready for the next swing. Then it doesn't get stuck at all in the wood and the wood just pops. Those are half swings then, fast, pop pop pop. Straight overhead, not off to the side. No need for sideways swings, it is so light. Little gnarlier wood I switch gears and think "follow through"-no pull- and split to the chopping block if possible.

I'm not good enough yet with the sideways wrist snap, still need to practice on that some.

Well yeah, but, how do we know you didn't just slice it with an X-acto knife or razor? :jester:

Ha! Aim small, hit small man!

When I was a kid, I had a little .22 trick, then some archery stuff. The first was similar, the wooden match, strike anywhere old fashioned kind. 50' indoor range, mossberg bull barrel, stick the match on the target catch. Light it with the first shot, then put it out with the second shot, with the vacuum of the bullet passing overhead. You can't touch the wood.. Also did the playing card trick, on edge, slice it half.

Of course there's guys who can do that 500 yds plus with high power..I can't even see that far, hahaha!

With the archery..man, this is back before compounds, after I could wipe all the adults in my area, I just did a little exhibition shooting at the country fair, to raise money for the local club. When you do *hundreds* of arrows a day, 365 a year, you can get fair to middling. Shooting back then cheap stuff, regular old plain vanilla bear alaskan recurve, instinctual shooting, no sights, etc. Best I could do then was decent groups at 90 yds. At 100, just fell flat, that bow lacked it at that distance and I never got a better one for decades, just more or less stopped competitions and shooting. hit a peak, stopped there. Other interests, driving, girls, working full time job, etc.

Running an axe into wood, meh, there's proly a lot of guys here who are as good, there's those pro timbersports guys for example. I can just hit the same crack is all. Laid the match down, walked it in with my swings.

Honestly though I thought I would waste a few dozen practicing, hitting it on the first match I got in a little whoop and happy dance!

Latest posts

Back