Splitting aged elm rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've heard here and other places that if one leaves elm in the round for a year or so it will split easier. Got to test this over the weekend. The summer before last I dropped off two loads of Siberian elm for the neighbor across the street. It sat there in rounds until Sunday morning when I finally wheeled the splitter over and split em up. If anything it split harder than siberian elm does when green. The only thing that split easy was the rounds in direct contact with the ground and were well on there way to being junk.

The words "elm" "split" and "easier" don't go in the same sentence, unless its something like this: My elm rounds were easier to split because I had someone else split it for me.... :msp_biggrin:

i recently cut some standing dead rock elm and cant split them by hand but my splitter ate them right up.splits were ugly and all stringy etc but i like burning the rock elm. burns long and coals great.

I've heard here and other places that if one leaves elm in the round for a year or so it will split easier. … If anything it split harder than siberian elm does when green.

Ummmm… not quite.
Usually elm splits easier in a matter of months, or even weeks, but not years (unless it starts to rot). Normally the best time to split elm is about when the bark releases, or shortly after… and then even easier if you can time it so the splitting occurs during sub-freezing weather. Let the stuff sit for very long after the bark releases and every fiber will fight you… screeching noises will howl from the wedge. There is a point just before the stuff “goes bad” when the fibers have been weakened when it will split easier (as you learned from the rounds sitting on the ground)… but that could take several years depending on storage conditions.

Sitting since summer before last??? And now during warm weather??? Man, you couldn’t have chosen a worst time to split elm… that stuff must’a been rock-hard!

Timing is everything I guess? Funny thing is, Siberian Elm from the same lot, but standing dead with bark pretty much long gone, splits just fine... Not because of punk either. Elm is a strange wood...

Ummmm… not quite.
Usually elm splits easier in a matter of months, or even weeks, but not years (unless it starts to rot). Normally the best time to split elm is about when the bark releases, or shortly after… and then even easier if you can time it so the splitting occurs during sub-freezing weather. Let the stuff sit for very long after the bark releases and every fiber will fight you… screeching noises will howl from the wedge. There is a point just before the stuff “goes bad” when the fibers have been weakened when it will split easier (as you learned from the rounds sitting on the ground)… but that could take several years depending on storage conditions.

Sitting since summer before last??? And now during warm weather??? Man, you couldn’t have chosen a worst time to split elm… that stuff must’a been rock-hard!

I finished splitting about 4 cords of elm a few weeks ago.

The pieces weren't too big (max 20" or so), and they were all green. Some ended up being very stringy, but most weren't too bad. The trick is to not attempt to split them by hand, and let the machine take the beating.

There's too much cottonwood around here, so I'm always happy to get some elm.

Last year damaged my rotator cuff on my right shoulder splitting elm rounds with a splitting maul and wedges. That experience caused me to purchased a 5 ton electric Homelite wood splitter. Everyone told me I was wasting my money with "that toy" but that little red devil splits elm, russian olive, cedar and piñon with no problems. Islero :smile2:

Dito for me with rock and american.
When the bark is starting to lift off the rounds it's time to split.
If your lucky it's also cold at that time :)

I cant speak for siberian but i suspect it's similar to american elm.

Funny though elm at around 1 year after the bark is gone splits pretty easy, just after the bark is lifting also pretty easy.
But with bark and a couple years old is not good splitting time, bet you are talking about tree length elm with bark and it would never be easy to split until it's been in round format for atleast 4 months or more.
Year old cut sugar maple and hickory can be just as painful, but a few months later when they start to check on the ends they are both easy.

Elm i would say as a general rule is cut it into round format leave it until the bark starts to lift, or until it's gone and the ends are well checked.
Then a cold day will make it even easier.
Leave the maul at home though unless you know popeye personally :)

Last edited:
Everyone needs to tackle Elm at least once to get an idea just how nasty this stuff can be. If it is any consolation your Elm badge is in the mail!!!!

I bought my first splitter specifically for elm.
Been there. Done that.
Decided I would just spend the money and be done. Well worth it too, in my opinion.

Sorry no pics.. My neighbors already think I have a "problem" with 20+ cords in the back yard. If I'd have brought the camera over and started snapping pics of split wood.... well they might call the loony bin :laugh:

Haha! My neighbors also think I am crazy! LOL

I finished splitting about 4 cords of elm a few weeks ago.

The pieces weren't too big (max 20" or so), and they were all green. Some ended up being very stringy, but most weren't too bad. The trick is to not attempt to split them by hand, and let the machine take the beating.

There's too much cottonwood around here, so I'm always happy to get some elm.

More manly than me.

good luck splitting

i just cut down a standing dead elm. It was left for a few years standing and the bark is mostly off. I haven't started splitting it yet cause my splitter is in the the shop. The cylinder had a pretty bad leak out of one of the seals in the cylinder but im looking forward to seeing how the splitter does in it after the repairs

i just cut down a standing dead elm. It was left for a few years standing and the bark is mostly off. I haven't started splitting it yet cause my splitter is in the the shop. The cylinder had a pretty bad leak out of one of the seals in the cylinder but im looking forward to seeing how the splitter does in it after the repairs

Why do you want to break it, as soon as you get it?

Yikes, you guys are making me nervous :msp_ohmy: I've got an elm to drop for a friend next week. I always split all my wood by hand, sounds like I may have to drag Dad's splitter home for this stuff :mad:

I like elm.

236601d1335938960-p1010869-medium-jpg

I like elm.

236601d1335938960-p1010869-medium-jpg

Now THAT'S the way to split elm!

Is that a Farmall M it's hooked to?

Second look. Nope, not an M. Much newer than that.

I dodged the bullet last year and was allowed to leave an Elm standing after I took the Locust. I've only done a couple elms but learned early on to have a sharp hatchet right there at the splitter to cut the strings above the wedge.

Harry K

Last edited:
Now THAT'S the way to split elm!

Is that a Farmall M it's hooked to?

Second look. Nope, not an M. Much newer than that.

I dodged the bullet last year and was allowed to leave an Elm standing after I took the Locust. I've only done a couple elms but learned early on to have a sharp hatchet right there at the splitter to cut the strings above the wedge.

Harry K

Think long, think wrong they say. Your first guess was right, 1947 M.

Notice the push plate design. At full extension, it goes past the edge of the wedge a little. No muss, no fuss, no strings. The tall skinny wedge is an elm special as well.

Back