Splitting aged elm rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like elm.

236601d1335938960-p1010869-medium-jpg

that thing looks like it could cut a chevy in half!

No problem splitting Siberian elm here.
Green it splits stringy dryer it splits well,kind of like Cottonwood.
I split a lot of Elm!
Mark

Spiral Grain Elm is Impossible

I just ran into two more spiral grain elm logs mixed in with American elm and red elm that I had cut last year. The American and red split beautifully. The spiral grain elm is virtually impossible to split, even with a 22-ton, 2-stage hydraulic. The rounds are only about 10" across and 18" long, but it makes little difference.

Frankly, I still have no idea what this spiral grain stuff is. The ends check up in a circular pattern rather that going across the diameter. That's about the only warning that you have. The density and bark is identical. You cannot even split this stuff around the perimeter because it peels of in twisted chunks. :msp_razz:

I'm saving these rounds for the summer bonfire.

No problem splitting Siberian elm here.
Green it splits stringy dryer it splits well,kind of like Cottonwood.
I split a lot of Elm!
Mark

Does Cottonwood split really easy for you ? It seems to me that I can just drop the axe right through it.

No doubt, if i had to heat with only elm, I don't think I would burn at all. No I'm sure I wouldn't burn. I hate elm.

I love elm, well rock elm.

When i split elm i don't waste much time dealing with strings i just place another piece infront and split again.
Really no more time than splitting anything else.

The crotches on rock elm i dont even try to split, they just get noodled into night size blocks.
Pretty easy to break even a tough splitter trying to split them.
In fact most of the elm stays as big blocks, less splitting is always a good thing :)

Black locust is a similar tearathon on a splitter unless you just leave the stuck piece and place a new one behind it, then it's very little extra work.

Last edited:
Elm burns nice if you manage to get it split nice without turning it all to "uglies".

Does Cottonwood split really easy for you ? It seems to me that I can just drop the axe right through it.
Green Cottonwood doesn't split well for me at all.
The lower (base) of it especially like a 3'-4' log,it's stringy.
I have ripped the (I)beam on one splitter and had to weld a 24" of 3/8 piece of steel to fix that splitter.
On splitter #2 trying to split some base wood cut into 1/8 th's it tweeked my beam into a pretzel,i cut off about 30" off the beam and rewelded a new one on.
I have found if I buck it and let it sit for year there will be no strings and easier to split.
I mill base the wood for trailers for Farmers and and people with Bobcats-loaders.
It will out go Fir and Pine for that use!(treat it with used crankcase oil)
Mark

ShaneLogs,

If any wood deserves splitter attention it's elm.
I always sharpen my splitter wedge when i am going to be elming all day.
Makes a big difference having a very sharp wedge on elm.
A dull wedge is sure to make for a long day of ugly wood.
You would be shocked at how few people ever check the wedge on the splitter but will spend hours sharpening chains :)

Last edited:
My Challenge

I suppose what I am trying to say is that most elm species split rather well when dried in the round a few months--except spiral grain elm, and nobody knows what this stuff is. I ran into two more of these logs again this week and set them aside for the summer bonfire. Each was 9" dia. and impossible to split.

I also found one log that was only 6" dia and 16" long. My 22-ton hydraulic 2-stage splitter just barely made it through. I know that's hard to believe, but it is the honest truth. I would enjoy carrying the "unsplittable" spiral grain elm to any GTG to prove my point if someone wants to show off a splitter.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that most elm species split rather well when dried in the round a few months--except spiral grain elm, and nobody knows what this stuff is. I ran into two more of these logs again this week and set them aside for the summer bonfire. Each was 9" dia. and impossible to split.

I also found one log that was only 6" dia and 16" long. My 22-ton hydraulic 2-stage splitter just barely made it through. I know that's hard to believe, but it is the honest truth. I would enjoy carrying the "unsplittable" spiral grain elm to any GTG to prove my point if someone wants to show off a splitter.

Ed, cmon up to andydodgegeeks MN GTG this fall and I'll git-er-split for ya. Harris MN is close enough for me to drag the splitter to, and I think I could line up a tractor to run it.

Challenge accepted.

Wood Doctor,

Dito for me on elm, i seldom have any trouble splitting elm on the splitter but i think it all comes down to when it's done.

Ahh the elm from hell, i can tell you why.
At some point when the tree was young the top was damaged or someone cut the top off.
The recovery of the tree forces it to side shoot all over and most of the shoots don't really grow, one main shoot takes over after a few years but the inside of the tree is now a knot factory.

You know you got one when you look up at the tree and notice the base is about 2x the size of the top main growth and it's offset a bit from the main.

I think (curly maple) is just sugar maple damaged in a similar way.
That is one awful thing to split LOL

Last edited:
Gave my 17 yr old son a challenge on an elm round. With an 8 lb maul, after 3 hrs only 1 small piece off the round. He gave up and lost the challenge.

Doc, I did a little legwork for ya. Here's the GTG thread:

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/192139.htm

Rough directions, looks like a 7 hour ride for that elm, but there should be plenty of other fun to make it worthwhile:

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...rgQfcpLTMCQ&oi=geocode_result&ved=0CBQQ9w8wAA
I think it's 3 hours too far away. LOML would make life miserable for me if I told her I was driving over 7 hours to show off a spiral grain, unsplittable elm log.

I found another one yesterday in the pile of rounds I cut last year. I've never seen anything like this stuff. The devil must have sent it from down under.

Back