Splitting at customer site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gslam88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else is doing it? I have had a couple of customers already that I have done for splitting there pile... I charge a minium of 4 hours and X $..

Pete

gslam88 said:
Just wondering if anyone else is doing it? I have had a couple of customers already that I have done for splitting there pile... I charge a minium of 4 hours and X $..

Pete

I have 2 or 3 clients who do it for home owners. 2 of them have high production Faver and Tmberwolf respectively.

The big problem getting the same money you would climbing and paying for the equipment hours. Few people believe the productivity of the Faver unit till they see it in action.

gslam88 said:
Just wondering if anyone else is doing it? I have had a couple of customers already that I have done for splitting there pile... I charge a minimum of 4 hours and X $..

Pete
4 hours at X $.. dont mean much unless we know what the base average hourly $$. are. Are you talking about 1 cord , 2 cords or are you charging just per hour for the service with a minimum of 4 hours? It would also depend on how long on average it take YOU to split 1 cord of wood. Are you stacking also are just splitting?

CaseyForrest said:
I charge $30 per hour with a $55 min. Thats cut, split, and stacked however they want it.
I dont think there is anything wrong with that. Its going to cost them what ....$50. -$75. just to rent a splitter for one day. If someone dont have the time nor cant do it then that is a fair price. Tho if they couldnt do it them selves then where did the cut-unsplit wood come from ? If they bought it per a wood vendor then it should already be split.

CaseyForrest said:
I charge $30 per hour with a $55 min. Thats cut, split, and stacked however they want it.
Normally how long does it take you to split 1 cord of average wood with the gas splitter ? Wood such as ELM is a whole different animal per splitting time .

Spike, business is slow!!! LOL

I just started this fall, havent even advertised yet. Ive got Flyers I need to post in the next couple days while Im off my real job.

As for where their wood comes from....Maybe blowdowns, maybe dropped off from the local tree company. I also offer to take down anything that is not near a structure, if they want the wood out of it for firewood. I dont ask questions!!

Ive only had a couple jobs thus far. I hope once I advertise a little, it will pick up. Going to be slow at my real job this winter.

I was skeptical about my pricing at first. I figure at the minimum I can do about one face cord an hour, split and stacked. If they need it cut too, then obviously it will take longer. I havent done it enough to know how quickly I can split. Speed will also increase as I whip myself back into shape.

Casey said:

i'm moving to michigan, very close to Casey, & sellin' my splitter before i go.....

a bit steep??? let me get this straight.....your saw, your splitter, your fuel, your labor.....yeah, i'll give ya $30 an hour, and you can expect a BIG tip.

cord arrow said:
i'm moving to michigan, very close to Casey, & sellin' my splitter before i go.....

your going to find out the cost of set up is coming out of your pocket
a two hour plan is a deal with the costomer.
When I drop off wood and they want me to stack it I just tell them I have my own to stack thanks anyway. most times they want it in the garage behind the car that don't move.

Thats what I want to do!!

I had a Idea like that for a while.I just need to follow through:bang: . The $$$ per hour sounds good maybe on low end but its a start.Wish you all the best Caseyforrest.:blob2: :bowdown:

I figure if you can at least get started and get your name out, there has to be a market for it. No one else around here does it on a small scale like I want to do.

$50 per hour with a $75 dollar minimum
I encourage the homeowner to help, tell them we'll get more done that way.
I don't stack, maybe with one of my ground guys, but then it's $90 per hour with a $145 dollar minimum.
I sell alot of firewood at $170-190 a cord, but I dont split much at those prices. the way I want it.

the way I figure it, all the value in firewood is the labor.
you can scrounge wood for free or pay $5 -$10 a cord for standing wood. you cut, load and haul the wood out.
from that point all the value comes from what is done to the wood.
so if a customer has free wood dumped in their yard or pays $25-50 for an unsplit truck load dumped, I think it is fair to charge for the remaining value.

so say a cord of wood is going for $180 in your area and the customer paid $50 for the logs/unsplit firewood to be dumped in their yard, it's my opinion you should be charging atleast $100 to split and stack that cord.
they're still "saving" $30 bucks.
otherwise you should be splitting and selling your own wood for full value.
unless you're such a nice fellow and all you're worried about is saving a cheapskate customer some money.
and at that point you should come work for me :rock:

Yeah Casey. For that price i'd have you come and split my pile of rounds and I'll sit and watch you while I have a beer.

Mike Barcaskey said:
I don't stack, maybe with one of my ground guys, but then it's $90 per hour with a $145 dollar minimum.
I sell alot of firewood at $170-190 a cord, but I dont split much at those prices. the way I want it.
Maybe i misunderstood ...... Your selling fire wood ( seasoned? - unseasoned? ) for $170.-$190. a cord and its NOT split ? To me that dont make sense so if you could fill me in .....;)

Mike Barcaskey said:

I see your point there. Im just getting started, and if I feel the price is to low, I can always raise it. Right now Id like to get a base built up. Not to mention Im still green as to how much wood I can split in an hour. Im sure itll pick up as I get back into shape.

Thanks for the tips, I will for sure keep those in mind for the future.

Latest posts

Back