Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thumbnailed your pics for you

This is a garden variety axe. Meaning someone dug it up when they were rototilling the garden.

I liken my refurbishing to putting lipstick on a pig. I did shave me whiskers with it though. Might a felt better if I brought shaving cream. Aside from whisker shortening, what are these things used for?

20150213_182415_zpsvz5w3sln.JPG 20150213_182433_zpsmtekzvmb.JPG 20150213_192608_zpsnq5jyxd2.JPG 20150213_192619_zpshjdydxia.JPG 20150213_192801_zpsx4zcf5rz.JPG

Fine looking kindling machine you have 1 Stihl nut .

IMG_20140531_180737.jpg

Fine looking kindling machine you have 1 Stihl nut .

IMG_20140531_180737.jpg

Thanks!

Kindling. ...so that's what they're used for!

I thought maybe they were for guys that swung both ways.

Btw...you can just call me "Nut".

"1 Stihl Nut" just sounds so....formal.

Only person that really ever called me that was my mother....when I was in a heap of trouble.

Wilton Bash Maul

As promised, here are the pics of the Wilton as it was delivered, fresh out of the box.

These three pics, you can see that the grind is very even on both sides of the blade, but they don't come anywhere close to meeting up in the middle. There's really no edge to speak of at all right out of the box. A file will be required for sure.
20150220_181045.jpg 20150220_181104.jpg 20150220_181119.jpg

The next three pics show the overall quality of the tool. It's very well put together and seems like a high quality unit. I'm impressed. I don't have any type of scale in the house, but it sure does feel heavier than 6 lbs. to me. I guess it's because of the 6 steel rods running the length of the handle.20150220_181140.jpg 20150220_181157.jpg 20150220_181207.jpg

I feel like $49.99 on sale was a fair price for this tool, plus $9.xx shipping of course.

Wilton Bash Maul

As promised, here are the pics of the Wilton as it was delivered, fresh out of the box.

These three pics, you can see that the grind is very even on both sides of the blade, but they don't come anywhere close to meeting up in the middle. There's really no edge to speak of at all right out of the box. A file will be required for sure.
View attachment 405561 View attachment 405563 View attachment 405566

The next three pics show the overall quality of the tool. It's very well put together and seems like a high quality unit. I'm impressed. I don't have any type of scale in the house, but it sure does feel heavier than 6 lbs. to me. I guess it's because of the 6 steel rods running the length of the handle.View attachment 405570 View attachment 405572 View attachment 405573

I feel like $49.99 on sale was a fair price for this tool, plus $9.xx shipping of course.
Looking forward to your field test results. I wonder if the edge is like that on all of them or if you ended up with a Friday afternoon model? Overall it looks like a really nice tool.

Wilton Bash Maul

The next three pics show the overall quality of the tool. It's very well put together and seems like a high quality unit. I'm impressed. I don't have any type of scale in the house, but it sure does feel heavier than 6 lbs. to me. I guess it's because of the 6 steel rods running the length of the handle.View attachment 405570 View attachment 405572 View attachment 405573

That certainly looks stout! Looking forward to your review once sharpened and in some wood!

Wilton Bash Maul

Nice! Is that the real name of it? Pure genius naming it a bash maul.

Here's my next project, resurrecting both of these for the children's camp staff.

The Jersey head is a Plumb brand and had a handle that was way too short and had become loose beyond repair.

The other head I believe is an Ames. Someone must have given it a major over strike as the fiberglass is cracked inside of the head.

Both of these will receive a nice 36" hardwood handle and the Ames will need a little work on the cutting edge.

image.jpg

Wilton Bash Maul

Had a chance to test out the new maul yet?

Not yet. Sunday was too cold, and then the work week started. Maybe this weekend if it's not too muddy. Our temps have risen up quite a bit and everything is a sloppy mess right now. Soon...

The flagship and part of the reserve fleet. The only one in the bottom row that I regularly use is the lightweight "traveler" axe on the far left during canoe trips.

View attachment 389801
Anyone have a positive ID on this? It's got a nice sized head for light duty splitting.
View attachment 389802
Hey @Ambull01 does #2, 4, 5, or 6 along the bottom row in picture 1 pique your interest?

Hey @Ambull01 does #2, 4, 5, or 6 in picture 1 pique your interest?

Umm, they all look good. I know nothing about axe metallurgy whatchamacallit lol. Just want something that can cut a chainsaw bar out of a tree and limb. Not sure why but I kinda like the way old used axes look.

I was putting a handle in a #3 China axe head today and I managed to cut my finger and drop the axe on my foot and it sliced my hiking boot a good one. Did it hit skin? I couldn't tell, but the gash looked like good one. So I took my shoe off and, to my delight, my sock and my foot was uncut.

It worked ok taking a few swings at an Doug fir stump--we'll check it out some more when I have more time.

For a felling axe, what length of handle do you prefer? 28" or 36"? I put 36 inchers on the last few heads I hung and they really seem to have a lot more power than the standard 28.

I like 36" on the heavier heads; 28's on the lighter heads.

When playing with all of these tools though it gets a bit dicey using different length handles. Gotta stay focused.

Back