Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suppose production costs decrease significantly if they use the same head.

I'm curious how many folks are still using the original "super splitter", not to be confused with the all black X-27 clone "super splitting axe"? I know zogger really liked his.

Its funny, I thought the Fiskars limited edition axe I bought was basically an X25 in different dress. But its obviously not as it has a smaller size bit.1508835184327.jpgThe 365 year anniverary axe is not the best as a splitter but I got it for my girl to use...even though she dont really use it. But its good for large kindling. The S2800 with the same length handle as the X27 would be a pretty good composite splitting axe. I think that red axe of SVK's would be good with its long handle, I bet it works well.

I suppose production costs decrease significantly if they use the same head.

I'm curious how many folks are still using the original "super splitter", not to be confused with the all black X-27 clone "super splitting axe"? I know zogger really liked his.

Still using my original Fiskars Super Split. I think the head design is superior to the newer X series. It is my go to splitting axe, short handle and all. I still prefer it to the X27.

I like my x27 I have not split a ton with it but in the right wood it's awesome. I like the long handle, I'm not a tall guy but I like to keep that head away from my toes. Plus my maul and sledge are a 32 inch handle so longer is more familiar.

Its funny, I thought the Fiskars limited edition axe I bought was basically an X25 in different dress. But its obviously not as it has a smaller size bit.View attachment 608617The 365 year anniverary axe is not the best as a splitter but I got it for my girl to use...even though she dont really use it. But its good for large kindling. The S2800 with the same length handle as the X27 would be a pretty good composite splitting axe. I think that red axe of SVK's would be good with its long handle, I bet it works well.
Can you get a shot of the top of the heads of those? I'm interested to see as it seems to have less taper.

Can you get a shot of the top of the heads of those? I'm interested to see as it seems to have less taper.
No need the newer ones with longer handles have a much narrower head than the original super split. Probably an inch overall width difference and I think it makes a noticeable difference.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Edit: I forgot the obligatory axe ****. So I'll double down.
80445e977eda779f8a76b9c4c9af694a.jpg
21031e557e7a679f98d3d82a95a18900.jpg

I will say that the x27 has a soft blade on it. I have some dings in it from wood and tonight I split my round and missed the end of my splitting block once through the round, I did a good amount of swearing because when I hit the concrete it did a number on the edge.

Very sharp but soft. I'm assuming that being that sharp it's pretty thin and therefore dings easily. Still works like a champ though. I'll sharpen it this winter.

I like a longer handle also, like a 36 ,i have a hb arvika coming it has a 32 , hope its long enough for the 4.5 lb head

I'm actually quite the opposite for upright splitting implements, a shorter handle seems to be my preference lately, at least ever since I got the Helko Spaltaxt (28" haft, 4 lb head) - while a little unfamiliar at first, I've really grown on it. I think you'll love that Arvika, a very nice piece. Had one in my hands a few weeks back but couldn't walk out with it when my wife was there with me, ha ha ha

IMO - Splitting wood up on a block adds an unnecessary amount of risk to the whole operation. Much safer to split blocks on the ground, with a safety log in front of the blocks. No risk of damaged shins that way. I have the long handled Super Splitting axe and a number of 4-8lb mauls. All my axes and splitters have long handles and I'm not that tall.

I must admit that the Super Splitting axe is well suited to "golf splitting" halved rounds into quarters. The light head and long handle make for a fast head speed that easily passes through half split rounds that tipped over and are lying down. Not a recommended technique - but I find myself using it regularly with the SS. Can't get the same head speed with a maul.

I'm actually quite the opposite for upright splitting implements, a shorter handle seems to be my preference lately, at least ever since I got the Helko Spaltaxt (28" haft, 4 lb head) - while a little unfamiliar at first, I've really grown on it. I think you'll love that Arvika, a very nice piece. Had one in my hands a few weeks back but couldn't walk out with it when my wife was there with me, ha ha ha
I googled the Helko axes ,looks very well made ,the wedge built in looks like will pop the wood apart very nice .I like the looks of the expedition model 4.5 lb .
You had an Arvika in your hands ? So i am guessing they are showing up in the states now ?

I can buy the Arvika direct from the Canadian distributor , but , I really don't need another axe ,,,, Seriously , I don't ,,, And I meen it ,,, This time for sure ,,, YesSiree Bob , no more axes ,,,, Time to cull the heard ,,, Yup , gonna start being a minimalist ,,, Real soon ....

I can buy the Arvika direct from the Canadian distributor , but , I really don't need another axe ,,,, Seriously , I don't ,,, And I meen it ,,, This time for sure ,,, YesSiree Bob , no more axes ,,,, Time to cull the heard ,,, Yup , gonna start being a minimalist ,,, Real soon ....
How do you like the new axe ?

IMO - Splitting wood up on a block adds an unnecessary amount of risk to the whole operation. Much safer to split blocks on the ground, with a safety log in front of the blocks. No risk of damaged shins that way.
It's a better height for me. more power in that part of the swing, IMO, and less bending over.

If I miss, axe / maul hits the splitting block, instead of the dirt. A tire also helps to hold things together. Hitting the shins would require quite a miss.

Only disadvantage is the need to lift each round up to the block.

Philbert

Split decision?

Longer handles - taller people, or wood on the ground.

Shorter handles - shorter people, and wood up on a block.

Philbert

I'm 6',2" so I guess you could consider me tall. I think handle length is more subjective than anything, what works good for one person may not for another regardless of physique, height, or strength.

IMO - Splitting wood up on a block adds an unnecessary amount of risk to the whole operation. Much safer to split blocks on the ground, with a safety log in front of the blocks. No risk of damaged shins that way. I have the long handled Super Splitting axe and a number of 4-8lb mauls. All my axes and splitters have long handles and I'm not that tall.

I must admit that the Super Splitting axe is well suited to "golf splitting" halved rounds into quarters. The light head and long handle make for a fast head speed that easily passes through half split rounds that tipped over and are lying down. Not a recommended technique - but I find myself using it regularly with the SS. Can't get the same head speed with a maul.

Meh, it can be a risk if one is not careful. Splitting upright on the ground is going to put my splitting axe in the dirt, which is no bueno. Splitting up on a block ensures that my bit with plant into the wood. Again, this is me talking and my current preferences, not making a general statement. Also, keeping the axe very sharp lessens the likelihood of glancing blows, which will damage your shins regardless of how sharp it is or isn't. That being said, I am also a fan of the golf swing splitting method on the ground, I like to use a heavy felling axe for that. The thing is, doing that for an extended period of time wears out my lower back. Not so much the swinging as it is angling my body and stepping over logs and what not... When I split on a block I like to use a chain and bungee, and keep a pickaroon at arms reach for the smaller stuff.

I googled the Helko axes ,looks very well made ,the wedge built in looks like will pop the wood apart very nice .I like the looks of the expedition model 4.5 lb .
You had an Arvika in your hands ? So i am guessing they are showing up in the states now ?

Some of their axes are nice, others not so much... like the Vario 2000 -- what the hell is that? I liked the Splataxt because of the design, which I was already familiar with using, but I wanted better quality properly hardened steel and a wood handle. I do not like plastic handles. Nothing wrong with them, I just don't like 'em.

Yes, I found a dealer in Frederick, MD that sells Hults and Gransförs Bruk. I could have swore I was an Arvika, but maybe it was the American Felling Axe.... pretty sure that's what it was labeled as, and it was ground to a clean steel finish, no forging marks.

Latest posts

Back