Splitting/Chopping Tool Review Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inspecting the fibers looks like a good way to check a maul's performance. I always go by feel, but the two would seem to go hand in hand.

Not even that. The smaller axes or hatchets are much better for kindling. The Husky and large axes are better when splitting small to medium wood. So the Total is kind of the odd man out in that group cause it's not the best choice for any particular task. OK to have around as a spare, but that's about it.
Best tool I've ever found for splitting wood by hand is a 7# Stanley Maul. Don't make them anymore, but the design is an A shape. Similar to that guy that's on here who would race hydraulic wood splitter's. Forget his name, but he was famous. Designed his own mauls ( was a blacksmith), and his too had an A shape.
Use the Stanley and 2 Snow& Nealy Mauls, one 6# and the other 8#'s. Also use an X27 Fiskar's for medium to small stuff.
Love splitting wood, and split most of my wood by hand. Furnace has bee shut off for years, and heat this house with wood.

Well, the Council Tools 6lb maul showed up today.

Inital inpressions.......

I like the balance and the weight.

I UNDERSTAND every company spits out a Friday/Monday product. I get that that. No harm, no foul. Things happen. I UNDERSTAND this.

Here is this the maul from the side. What is that buldge in the middle?

BC1E98CB-B671-40DE-BB07-E7BDA67E9095_zpsvdfnebdh.jpg

Uncle Drunkle running the grinder?

7FA9A708-7D2B-4D05-8C24-446BB19023F6_zpsfrlvtbkq.jpg

Yeah, it's crooked as hell. Looks like Marty Feldman was on the wheel.

So, off to the shop and disc time.

0CEAEC17-B2E8-4373-B617-1BBCF757DCAB_zpstmtghvfh.jpg

The hunting and fishing is worked out good enough until it really needs sharpened.

2871C119-B000-4219-B648-3FFD525FB666_zpsedvfl0gq.jpg

Since things were getting fluffed and buffed might as well give the Fiskars some love.

713373C4-0499-48A0-99C7-D1613A1743EC_zpszsy1niyg.jpg

I'll put the Council Tools through it's paces coming up. Before the grinder work I rooted around in the pile and found something for it to split.

It was a already halfed piece of Black Ash and it stuck in... Hmmmmm. There are some of you who will understand this.

Let's hope things go better after the fluff and buff it received.

I UNDERSTAND every company spits out a Friday/Monday product. I get that that. No harm, no foul. Things happen. I UNDERSTAND this.

The hunting and fishing is worked out good enough until it really needs sharpened.

Since things were getting fluffed and buffed might as well give the Fiskars some love.

I'll put the Council Tools through it's paces coming up. Before the grinder work I rooted around in the pile and found something for it to split.

It was a already halfed piece of Black Ash and it stuck in... Hmmmmm. There are some of you who will understand this.

That's the 30 dollar model? So basically as shipped without any work on it about the same as any other generic box store 30 buck maul?

How is the head fit to the handle, tight and good? Grain alignment if you can see it?

That's the 30 dollar model? So basically as shipped without any work on it about the same as any other generic box store 30 buck maul?

How is the head fit to the handle, tight and good? Grain alignment if you can see it?

Yes. The one CTYank @John has been talking about. It was 30ish from Bailey's including shipping.

Head fit to handle seems good. It's not wobbly.

grain alignment? What is that?

i'll brb afk for a moment while I run out to the shop to get a picture of the handle and mix a cocktail.

Alright. I took these two pictures.

I have NO clue if it will help you with what you asked.

B8AD1F00-AC88-4A40-911B-FE80B7B7F82C_zps1syy6k0t.jpg

4E627364-7C62-4365-95E5-4C4668138D25_zpssq1xhvnv.jpg

Alright. I took these two pictures.

I have NO clue if it will help you with what you asked.

Thanks for the pics. Can't *quite* tell but it looks OK, grain should be inline with the direction of swing and alignment of axe head.

If you go to TSC, HD, L, etc and go down their line of mauls, you'll see similar. they'll still bust wood, grind em down a little and throw a better edge on them.

Actually, I amazed you can retail any axe made in the USA for 30 bucks.

My Fiskars did not come with a sharpener. I just use a raker file.

Nice review, thanks!!!!

Your family portrait looks like mine. My Council Tools should be here today so I am looking forward to wringing that out.
Thanks, I had the assumption that they came with a sharpening kit like the one I had and traded the guy I work with for a set of chaps, was gonna buy another one, then seen the local dealer has the new husky splitting axes all lined up, and though hmm it will match my saws, maybe I'll wait and get one

Maybe the pics make it look worse, but I didn't think it was that bad out of the box, just wasn't as sharp as the Fiskar's. I took a Dremel to it very lightly for a sharper edge. That's all.
The Council Tools is MUCH better than the Home Depot splitter I had tried using - better feel, well made and it worked better. I have no complaints with mine, especially for the $27.00 bucks it cost. I just happen to prefer the Fiskar's for my occasional splitting activity. I'm sure with a bit more practice, or in the hands of someone with more experience and better technique, the Council Tool would be a better than average tool. I know I'll be more inclined to take it and use it in the field.

I will say that I'm developing a case of SMAD (Splitting Maul Acquisition Disease) as I'm starting to really "need" the Husqvarna wood handle splitting maul...or maybe the Biber Classic by Mueller. Both are primo...

Maybe the pics make it look worse, but I didn't think it was that bad out of the box, just wasn't as sharp as the Fiskar's. I took a Dremel to it very lightly for a sharper edge. That's all.
The Council Tools is MUCH better than the Home Depot splitter I had tried using - better feel, well made and it worked better. I have no complaints with mine, especially for the $27.00 bucks it cost. I just happen to prefer the Fiskar's for my occasional splitting activity. I'm sure with a bit more practice, or in the hands of someone with more experience and better technique, the Council Tool would be a better than average tool. I know I'll be more inclined to take it and use it in the field.

I will say that I'm developing a case of SMAD (Splitting Maul Acquisition Disease) as I'm starting to really "need" the Husqvarna wood handle splitting maul...or maybe the Biber Classic by Mueller. Both are primo...

Going back and looking at your pictures, you are correct. I must of been looking through the wrong lenses on my glasses.

It was that last one where the actual head just looked almost bent but the more I study it I see that is not the case.

I agree with you on your assessment of the maul and I am looking forward to more seat time with it now that the head is touched up.

I hear you on the SMAD..lol.

The Grunsford that was posted up and those Fiskars mauls are really nice.

BC1E98CB-B671-40DE-BB07-E7BDA67E9095_zpsvdfnebdh.jpg

7FA9A708-7D2B-4D05-8C24-446BB19023F6_zpsfrlvtbkq.jpg

0CEAEC17-B2E8-4373-B617-1BBCF757DCAB_zpstmtghvfh.jpg

2871C119-B000-4219-B648-3FFD525FB666_zpsedvfl0gq.jpg

713373C4-0499-48A0-99C7-D1613A1743EC_zpszsy1niyg.jpg

In picture #3, would it help to buff out the casting marks on the "cheek" to provide for a smoother entry into the wood? Looking at my True Temper 6# its as smooth as butter.

In picture #3, would it help to buff out the casting marks on the "cheek" to provide for a smoother entry into the wood? Looking at my True Temper 6# its as smooth as butter.

That might not be a bad idea!!!!

Thanks!

Svk I took your advice.

Before.

After. To quote Jayne Cobb.....shiny.

It's also smooth and soft to the touch. If that makes sense.

That picture was after I took it out and tried it. Still hung up in a piece of black ash and I hopefully feel that is my learning curve with this.

The grain pic for Zog. I "think" this is what he meant. I learned a lot from the how to change a handle thread.

Latest posts

Back