Splitting oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon Cooper

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Never split oak before but I noticed that with the splitter it seems to come apart real stringy and not nicely along the grain. Is this normal? Is it better to split the wood when it's rock hard frozen or warm and green? I split mostly maple and poplar so this is new to me.:cheers:

Some types of oak split easily, such as red oak. Some types, such as live oak, are like rock. But oak is kinda stringy, so I just pull it apart about halfway through the split. I think dead oak is easier to split if using a log splitter since it seems to bust open whereas green oak is stringier. In my experience, pecan is much worse about this than oak.

north east white oak is very stringy ,splits a little better when frozen ,i normally push it all the way thru the splitter with the next piece ... red oak is the best !!!jk

White Oak is some stringy stuff...no way around it. It will split better frozen but don't expect the difference to be night and day. And you will get some pieces that just drive you nuts.

Latest posts

Back