Splitting Pine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So guys, I have come into two large pines, all buckets and sitting in my land,

do I A) leave them to dry some and split or B) have at them and get them Split and stacked.

Only reason I ask is I have other wood to split , but if the pine is gonna be harder to split semi-dry will do that first.

I usually wait a year on pine too. I cut it into round but wait to split it cause its so sticky and yeah those nosiey wood grinding bugs will be in it for sure..LOL

Don't let pine fool you. Sometimes it can be difficult to split whether green or not. We had an old row of Scots pines that succumbed to pine blight. The twisted grain and knots made it just as difficult to split by hand as any elm. After processing a half cord with an hydraulic splitter, the rest was either burned or left to rot in the back of our farm.

Thin split the bark off of it. You can also partially noodle it or end cut it before splitting. The faster it is up drying the better, or they get lots of bugs, including massive ant colonies. Dried well, I like pine a lot.

I have a bit more than a cord stashed, no bark on it, nice wood.

I split it right away, it all goes right through my 4-way wedge,

standard.jpg

It's not a problem at all.

SR

Thin split the bark off of it. You can also partially noodle it or end cut it before splitting. The faster it is up drying the better, or they get lots of bugs, including massive ant colonies. Dried well, I like pine a lot.

I have a bit more than a cord stashed, no bark on it, nice wood.
Noodle it if you dont got a splitter

Straight grained pine is always easy but better after a little drying. Knotty pine will always be challenging unless you noodle or use a splitter with a sharp wedge.

You didn't mention what species. Jack pine likes to twist excessively when growing along a field or shoreline.

...interesting responses concerning the various types of pine. I may have to re-think splittin, burnin pine. Never gave a rats arse about it for the 'supposed creosote' problem. My BIL a few weeks ago offered me trailer loads of it, gotta drive about 1 hr to get it one way, obviously comin back take a little longer with a trailer full...point is, he burns the hell out of it, says no creosote problem at all after splittin and dryin. On a side note, he has more white oak and hickory split to last him for 4-5 yrs. I guess now question is...Should I get the pine and run it through the SS HD or my 20-ton dual split, burn it or what? I have an open fireplace in my living room, wood stove in the shop. Never fooled with pine, kinda odd since every other tree in mid-Ga is a pine...what y'all think?

...interesting responses concerning the various types of pine. I may have to re-think splittin, burnin pine. Never gave a rats arse about it for the 'supposed creosote' problem. My BIL a few weeks ago offered me trailer loads of it, gotta drive about 1 hr to get it one way, obviously comin back take a little longer with a trailer full...point is, he burns the hell out of it, says no creosote problem at all after splittin and dryin. On a side note, he has more white oak and hickory split to last him for 4-5 yrs. I guess now question is...Should I get the pine and run it through the SS HD or my 20-ton dual split, burn it or what? I have an open fireplace in my living room, wood stove in the shop. Never fooled with pine, kinda odd since every other tree in mid-Ga is a pine...what y'all think?

Burn pine and like any sweetgum or whatever in a stove, use something else for an open fireplace. Basically if it spits, enclose it, if you have a choice.

Burn pine and like any sweetgum or whatever in a stove, use something else for an open fireplace. Basically if it spits, enclose it, if you have a choice.
...I hear ya. That was what I was lookin at doin if nothin else with the pine...burn it in the shop stove for heat. Save all my red oak, white oak, hickory, etc for the open living room fireplace. All the 'fun' has been taken outta the pine concerning sawing...already bucked to 15-16" length. Can't argue with that though.

...I hear ya. That was what I was lookin at doin if nothin else with the pine...burn it in the shop stove for heat. Save all my red oak, white oak, hickory, etc for the open living room fireplace. All the 'fun' has been taken outta the pine concerning sawing...already bucked to 15-16" length. Can't argue with that though.

Can't speak for other species but Ponderosa splits nicely...expecially when frozen.

Don't let pine fool you. Sometimes it can be difficult to split whether green or not. We had an old row of Scots pines that succumbed to pine blight. The twisted grain and knots made it just as difficult to split by hand as any elm. After processing a half cord with an hydraulic splitter, the rest was either burned or left to rot in the back of our farm.
fact!! ive seen sooo may pines grow twisted, and I refuse to cut them down,,less they want to pay dearly...

Can't speak for other species but Ponderosa splits nicely...expecially when frozen.
...appreciate the reply, only problem is, ain't rarely frozen temps here in mid Ga for any length of time. If it does happen, hell its gone by mid afternoon, next day. Not sayin it don't get cold as hell here, but freezing for periods of time to take advantage of nice splittin...ain't gonna happen here. I'll bust that pine with the SS HD or 20-ton dual split...be done with it.

...appreciate the reply, only problem is, ain't rarely frozen temps here in mid Ga for any length of time. If it does happen, hell its gone by mid afternoon, next day. Not sayin it don't get cold as hell here, but freezing for periods of time to take advantage of nice splittin...ain't gonna happen here. I'll bust that pine with the SS HD or 20-ton dual split...be done with it.

Ya, for real. When I lived up norte, for sure had FROZEN wood to split sometimes. They mean like below zero for days and weeks. The stuff almost splits itself at those temps. Just doesn't happen here, even in north jawjah.

I was out once at night, around 20 something below, nice near full moon, great shiny snow, good visibility. Sat on a log and the dang tree next to me sploded from the temps! Just went off! Split to chunks, fell down. Impressive....

I went home, had some hot chocky..... ;)

Ya, for real. When I lived up norte, for sure had FROZEN wood to split sometimes. They mean like below zero for days and weeks. The stuff almost splits itself at those temps. Just doesn't happen here, even in north jawjah.

I was out once at night, around 20 something below, nice near full moon, great shiny snow, good visibility. Sat on a log and the dang tree next to me sploded from the temps! Just went off! Split to chunks, fell down. Impressive....

I went home, had some hot chocky..... ;)
...I heard that. Just don't stay cold enough here in mid-Ga to take advantage of splittin like the fellas up north. Not a prob though. Both my splitters will get a good, well needed run. Damn sure beats 'em sittin idle in the shop. ;)

Back