Splitting queston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many mechanical splitters users have gone back to an axe/maul?

• Use splitter for everything

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • Use splitter for everything I can pick up or split vertically

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I am a man and don't need no stinkin splitter, I am an axe/maul guy

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don't split wood, I like it wet

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

c5rulz

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was a die hard X27 user until getting a hydro splitter. Now except for busting something smaller so I can pick it up, the X27 assists in cutting up logs but not much in the line of splitting anymore.

What say Ye?

I only used a hydro a couple of seasons. Now, my mechanical splitter is a chainsaw and noodling for those I can't readily hand split. The only other type of mechanical splitting I am almost interested in now is milling, as the end product is worth way more than firewood.

If I don't sell any, I am at least 5-6 years ahead with what I have now, so..meh...hand splitting is fun for me. Now switching to bulk firewood sales, things would change and it would take a larger investment in equipment and paperwork time etc..not that interested in that.

Once I can't hand split at all, perhaps then with a small splitter...

I use the Armstrong splitter, does 98% of all my work and if I can't hand split it I noodle it in half or quarters. If I buy a splitter Im leaning towards a kinetic splitter.

95% of the firewood I cut is ash. It splits with one half ass swing when it's below freezing. Love my x27. It's way faster than a hydro splitter and that way I can tell the wife I excerised for the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use my x27 until I'm out of stuff that splits with moderate effort. Stuff that I can whack apart in under 4-6 swings. If it takes more than that it goes off to the side. Then the hydro comes out. While I sell a bunch each year, I'm still just a hobby seller and like doing it the "old fashioned way". If the time crunch gets to big, I fire up the machinery.

I use my x27 until I'm out of stuff that splits with moderate effort. Stuff that I can whack apart in under 4-6 swings. If it takes more than that it goes off to the side. Then the hydro comes out. While I sell a bunch each year, I'm still just a hobby seller and like doing it the "old fashioned way". If the time crunch gets to big, I fire up the machinery.

Same here except I bust the big ones with wedge/sledge first then the X27. Splitter sees less than 5 % of my harves (10-12 cord/yr)

I have an owb and don't split it if I can shove it in the 25" x 25" door. I would say I noodle, use hydo and maul almost equally if it does need split. They all have their place.

How many mechanical splitters users have gone back to an axe/maul?
Hell no..when I was an indentured servant for my father I split many a cord by hand and I swore if I chose to burn wood as an adult I'd own a splitter, If I had to swing an axe again I'd give up heating with wood!

If it doesn't split in ten or so swings goes into the splitter pile for me. I enjoying the exercise of hand splitting but not gonna kill myself in the process. That said I don't blame anyone for preferring one or the other they both get ya to the same place.

708-jpg.488310

What the heck?!? :eek::eek:

I love my Super Split, but I still like to chop for the exercise, but I haven't had time to do it much. Kids mostly split the firewood now.

I don't mind splitting by hand. I just putz along as I go.

I can't justify the $$$$$ for a splitter that accepts 30+ wood when I can just kick it over and noodle it if it wont split.

A couple of years ago the entire left side of my chest was broke. I was back to cutting/splitting in 3 months.

That's my gauge on when and if I need to hang up the Fiskars or S3600.

ETA - I've used a friends splitter a few years ago. It worked fine. I detonated one fingertip with a wrong time/wrong place. Aside from that it was fine. No real speed advantage.

I would be more inclined to save my money for a firewood processor that attaches to the skidsteer.

No video of it in action. It actually worked pretty good on the few pieces I tried it on. If I was to make one to actually use I would use lighter heads, this thing is actually pretty heavy. It would be great for pine, ash or other straight grained, easy splitting woods.

IyaMan, where are you in Japan? I went there a couple of times to build houses, I was in Osaka. Loved the time I spent there. You teaching English? Man, I look like a little kid there.
japan6.jpg

Latest posts

Back