Splitting Wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iron Head

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a couple new wedges.
I currently have the standard metal wedge but I want to try something different.
I like to know what different types of wedges you guys are using.
What are the pros and cons of alluminum wedge?
What about the twist wedge?

These hard head edges are very good,depends on what ya wont to use them for.

attachment.php

Wee bit of confusion here about splitting vs felling wedges. :confused2:

I wouldn't think of using aluminum or plastic for splitting. No how, no way. Let's get real. :msp_scared:

Harbor Freight has some good buys on plain-jane and "wood grenade" wedges. The plain straight-edged one, I had to remove some serious chubbiness in its cheeks with a disc grinder. Works fine now. Seems to be forged of decent steel- no mushrooming yet. (Of course, I don't use it that much, except mainly for finishing off a partly noodled split through a knot or fork.)

Forget the aluminum wedge for splitting of any kind. Maybe use one for wedging a tree or propping up a table leg or holding a door open. If your going to split wood, go with a steel one. Grenade or contemporary. With the contemporary steel wedge(square that tapers to a point), you may want to put a different edge on it simply because the factory edge is too blunt.

Got a log grenade from Northern. Busted the tip off after a few cords of oak. Needs some serious grinding to be usable again. Was good while it lasted.

Back