Spraying for tarspots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frashdog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an account that is going to wants their maples sprayed for tar spots. They had them wicked last summer. I have not sprayed trees before, I do not forsee enough spraying jobs in my future to justify tree spraying equip. I think. I am thinking of finding another company to spray for me. I am interested in the basics though. I understand there is a fungicide and horticulture wax. I aslo understand it's not good to mix them. Enough about "I".

How much is equipment? How does one charge?

Where is horticulture wax used.

No one is doing it around me, might be something to get into?

Thanks
Steve

YOu mean tarspots like Taphrina fungus/ did trees decline due to it, or just look bad? It's only bad due to weather patterns. I've seen trees lose some lower branches due to Taphrina and shade; never killed or threatened a tree.

Best treatment to sell is standard invigoration. aeration, light fert, mulching, etc. If the tree is big enough for the client, try a growth regulator like paclobutrazol. It's effective as a fungistat and much easier on the applicator and the surroundings than spraying.

YOu mean tarspots like Taphrina fungus
sure, maybe inch or bigger black and a bit spotty. Did not do much to trees' health overall. Just looked bad, customer got nervous. Wicked humid summer. The leaves in the fall were all removed from the ground.This is a bank with many branches (no pun intended) They care a lot about their trees, as they should, they are wonderful. Some were good size and being in full sun had very nice round shape, but were very dense with growth. I don't think they had good air flow in them.

Last summer we did pruned the trees for the first time in their lives, dead wood removal, thinning, lower branch removals for the mowers. They are going to get more air in them now. Everyone was happy, bank owner, customers, I even got some climbing jobs from an old timer (mid 80's:bowdown: ) tree company who drove by while we were working.

try a growth regulator like paclobutrazol. It's effective as a fungistat and much easier on the applicator and the surroundings than spraying.
I'll look into it.

Thanks for your help.

frashdog said:
Last summer we did pruned the trees for the first time in their lives, dead wood removal, thinning, lower branch removals for the mowers. They are going to get more air in them now. .

Excellent, I forgot to mention pruning for air flow but you are right; very key.

Back