Spring is here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HadleyPA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I can tell it is getting warm b/c in middle of winter if I go away and come home and fire went out I won't even bother to relight if not below 30. Been so warm haven't had a fire in 2 wks but got home from work today and was 42 outside and I lit the fire! Funny how your mindset changes with the seasons.

kinda glad too....winter began to get boring and I was getting tired of burning wood.

Definitely spring in Iowa, wet and windy. Not warm by an means either, although yesterday was nice.

Spring is same as the winter was, raining anytime I have time to get something done! Supposed to be 55* and sunny today so taking a half day from work to get a hickory outta a guys back yard... already on the ground and the brush is cleaned up! Steep driveway in a development so can't get the dump trailer in, gotta load the pickup.

We're on our third 'Spring' in Maine, and winter is planning to rear its ugly head this weekend. We have gone through so many thaw-freeze cycles. This jumping back and forth did a number on the dirt road. Really bad potholes.

I do recall that in 1987, Omaha, Nebraska and much of the Midwest picked up 12" of snow on April 15. Just thought I would remind you all before you got too carried away. This storm strangled the city right when people were trying to get to the post office to send in their income tax forms. All of the city's snow removal equipment had been stored away.

The following day that storm reached Chicago and shut down O'Hare airport.

Then there was 1975. An early April a massive snowstorm ravaged central and northern Illinois, shutting down O'Hare field. I recall having to drive south to Indianapolis to catch a flight to Connecticut for a job interview. Truck drivers helped lead the way for me south on I-65 to Weir Cook airport. One guy (Silver Streak) took the front door. The other (Wild Bill) covered the back door. Both were running 18 wheelers. Silver Streak was radioing even further ahead. I made the flight by 20 minutes, averaging nearly 75 mph.

I was driving a 1969 Lincoln Mark III, sandwiched in between the two big knights of the road. My Cobra CB radio and theirs made it all possible. I'll never forget that caravan for as long as I live. Oh, and BTW, I got the job in Connecticut.

It must be close to spring. I had to mow grass again last week. Third mowing this year.

It must be close to spring. I had to mow grass again last week. Third mowing this year.

I've never mowed sooner than mid June and even then was just around the house were its warmer. Still another 2.5 months.

Grass is showing signs of life here in Mid MI. If only it would stop raining. It's been raining all winter. Warmest winter I've experienced outside the east coast.

Sent from a field

We got a foot of wet snow on Saturday, and it was 57 on Sunday. gutter and roads were melting so fast. I am pretty much done with it though. Time for the snowblower to come off the tractor and the FEL to go on. Ground is too soft to do anything anyways.

A few bushes are being to turn green in nw pa and the grass is starting to darken in grow in certain places. If warm temps stick around will have some trim mowing to do in next week or two. Haven't seen any old retired guys mowing yet so it is still early lol. Did see a dandelion coming up in the front yard yesterday.

The robins and other spring birds arrived a week ago around my home. As of saturday night, a few peeper frogs were out and the chorus was much louder last night.

23* here this morning. I woke up a bit ago, I only put a few pieces of wood in the stove last night, 62* in the house. Good thing I made a fire in the shop last night. I almost came straight home from delivering a load of wood to Anchorage, was almost 10pm.

Still have a ft of snow in most places. Got one of the skidders stuck in Saturday in a drift that was over 4ft deep.

Latest posts

Back