Walboro wt-194 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridin2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys, long, long time since I’ve messed with saws or posted on here but that’s changing. I’m swapping carbs on my mint 026 pro that’s going to be highly modified this winter. The PO replaced the stock carb before it got parked for years & I can’t confirm it’s a genuine 426? stock replacement. Since it won’t run perfectly the only option is a new genuine unit. I see walboro has a 194 & a 194-1, there’s a bunch of articles & posts about the 194 but not one I found mentions the -1. What exactly is the difference between them? Also, is the 194 the best carb for a modded 026pro? I’m after power not longevity. It’s just a toy that’ll see maybe an hour of actual profitable work annually. I’m getting all the saws tuned up for storm season here in TN. The tornados the other day lit a fire under me & just missed us but hundreds of trees went down.

I run all 194`s on my own 026`s and put them on any that come my way for repair just to have the ability to tune them correctly. I run very modified or just a hair past woods ported 026`s and that 194 provides all they can handle . I have not seen or noticed 194-1 carbs so can`t tell any tales about them.

Copy that. I found a 194 & a -1 on eBay for $60. Figured that’s a fair ask. Might just em both to see if there is any difference or if it’s just a big corporate part number change to increase pricing

Guys, long, long time since I’ve messed with saws or posted on here but that’s changing. I’m swapping carbs on my mint 026 pro that’s going to be highly modified this winter. The PO replaced the stock carb before it got parked for years & I can’t confirm it’s a genuine 426? stock replacement. Since it won’t run perfectly the only option is a new genuine unit. I see walboro has a 194 & a 194-1, there’s a bunch of articles & posts about the 194 but not one I found mentions the -1. What exactly is the difference between them? Also, is the 194 the best carb for a modded 026pro? I’m after power not longevity. It’s just a toy that’ll see maybe an hour of actual profitable work annually. I’m getting all the saws tuned up for storm season here in TN. The tornados the other day lit a fire under me & just missed us but hundreds of trees went down.
With Walbro the "-1" just means that they put the carb in a retail box.

Is this a fact Steve? You’re not trolling us with sarcasm. All the carbs I’ve seen on the line are in white boxes with white labels, black writing. There’s just a -1 on one of the boxes. I have emailed walboro through their site, hopefully they respond. I’ve got a fairly built 5.9 & Cummins does this all the time. Sometimes the parts being sold to dodge have a slightly different part number, same part.

As a side note, I believe based on taking both apart and comparing side-by-side the WT-194 and WT-426 are the same carb. Only difference is the WT-194 doesn't have the "snorkel" for the compensation feature. Not sure of any differences between a WT-194 and a WT-194-1. I can't see any visually anyway. I purchased a few Walbro carbs for my 026 Pro (also mint) one of which was a WT-426-1 and the other a WT-194-1. Can't tell a difference between them and the original.

As a side note, I believe based on taking both apart and comparing side-by-side the WT-194 and WT-426 are the same carb. Only difference is the WT-194 doesn't have the "snorkel" for the compensation feature. Not sure of any differences between a WT-194 and a WT-194-1. I can't see any visually anyway. I purchased a few Walbro carbs for my 026 Pro (also mint) one of which was a WT-426-1 and the other a WT-194-1. Can't tell a difference between them and the original.
The 426 and 194 are definitely NOT the same carb! The 426 is a "bypass" carb where most of the fuel goes through fixed jets and a small percentage goes through the needles. This limits the adjustment range somewhat and makes it easier to tune. With the 194 all fuel goes through the needles allowing a wide range of adjustment but the adjustment is "touchy". I am surprised that you didn't notice this tuning difference with your rebuilds.

BTW, a 194 with a compensating "snorkel" was christened a 394 and was used on early versions of the 026 Pro.

Is this a fact Steve? You’re not trolling us with sarcasm. All the carbs I’ve seen on the line are in white boxes with white labels, black writing. There’s just a -1 on one of the boxes. I have emailed walboro through their site, hopefully they respond. I’ve got a fairly built 5.9 & Cummins does this all the time. Sometimes the parts being sold to dodge have a slightly different part number, same part.
I was told this by Luis (since retired), the Walbro tech support rep.

The 426 and 194 are definitely NOT the same carb! The 426 is a "bypass" carb where most of the fuel goes through fixed jets and a small percentage goes through the needles. This limits the adjustment range somewhat and makes it easier to tune. With the 194 all fuel goes through the needles allowing a wide range of adjustment but the adjustment is "touchy". I am surprised that you didn't notice this tuning difference with your rebuilds.

BTW, a 194 with a compensating "snorkel" was christened a 394 and was used on early versions of the 026 Pro.
Thanks for the clarification. Do you have or can you tell me where I can find any technical documentation on Walbro carbs? Can this info be found in the Stihl service manuals? I have noticed some carbs are quite touchy. The WT-215 on my 025 is that way.

Latest posts

Back