Sproket sizes and faster chain speed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalo bill

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was buying a new drive sproket for a 046 magnum which I run with a 25 inch bar. It came standard with a 7 tooth drive sproket and 20 inch bar.

An 8 tooth sproket would give me more speed but would it reduce the power low down by any considerable amount?

What is better for cutting - chain speed or engine torque? Bigger sproket or smaller?

Cutting hardwoods too - not soft wood.

Last edited:
I was buying a new drive sproket for a 046 magnum which I run with a 25 inch bar. It came standard with a 7 tooth drive sproket and 20 inch bar.

An 8 tooth sproket would give me more speed but would it reduce the power low down by any considerable amount?

What is better for cutting - chain speed or engine torque? Bigger sproket or smaller?

Cutting hardwoods too - not soft wood.

I am running 8 pins on all my husky's now the modded 372 24"b&c loves a big sprocket, the stock 372 20" can't see much difference in torque loss and the stock 395 36"b&c just smiles at the 8 pin. It cuts faster is all I know I do my rakers all at .030!

I run an 8 tooth on a 460 with a 20" bar and it cuts faster. I haven't tried it with the 25" bar, but I would guess it would work better as long as your chain is sharp. It's pretty cheap to try it, and you could always use it with the 20" bar.

Add a stihl dual port exhaust cover and retune the carb. I run an 8 pin on an 046 and 460 with a 24" bar.
Both cut great with the extra power from letting the saw breath.

Add a stihl dual port exhaust cover and retune the carb. I run an 8 pin on an 046 and 460 with a 24" bar.
+1
squish the head mill the intake .01 and the 8 pin 28-36 in. bar now your hauling

or you can open the stock ex port too @ .500 and keep the 40 bucks in your pocket.
mine pulls the 20" fine with the 8 pin, but the dual port looks way cooler.

I have used both on the 046 and 460 saws. The old 046s did a fine job for me with the 8 tooth on 20" and 24" bars. The ms460 does not seem to like the 8 tooth much.

I have used both on the 046 and 460 saws. The old 046s did a fine job for me with the 8 tooth on 20" and 24" bars. The ms460 does not seem to like the 8 tooth much.
+1
same here havent run a 046 but you seem to lose a little on a stock 460 with a 8 pin

It depends how hard the wood is that you're cutting :)
My 3120 with a 32" bar, .404" semi chisel skip, and 8 tooth sprocket is useless in certain species of Aussie hardwood. I never would have thought a 3120 could ever stall a 32"! 7 tooth sprocket not a problem.

Lots of good advice there. I should have said the 8 tooth/ 20" on a 460 works great for me WITH a muffler mod. I too agree with staying with a 7 tooth on a stock saw unless you run a very short bar or narrow gage, like running 3/8 lo pro (like you use on a 200t) on a ms250.

Wow I really, I mean I wow; I am running 8 pins on two stock saws and neither has lost power both seem to have gained cutting speed. I will agree my modded one is better but all saws improved with the change I wonder how many not recommending the change truly tried it? I cut Elm,Oak, Hickory,Blackjack and even though I can stall the chain I could also stall it on my modded one as well:cheers: There is not a saw I? have seen that can't be stalled with enough dogging imo.

I am just the opposite as most guys on the 7 or 8 pin!
I think for the most part the 8 pin sucks unless your running a short bar.
If you have tons of power itll be ok but if you just have enough power as is and you go to an 8 itll suck!

I run a 8 pin on my 385XP 24" bar most of the time. I do notice a need for the 7 pin in 36" hard maple. I am thinking a "Snellerization" would cure that though.

Wow I really, I mean I wow; I am running 8 pins on two stock saws and neither has lost power both seem to have gained cutting speed. I will agree my modded one is better but all saws improved with the change I wonder how many not recommending the change truly tried it? I cut Elm,Oak, Hickory,Blackjack and even though I can stall the chain I could also stall it on my modded one as well:cheers: There is not a saw I? have seen that can't be stalled with enough dogging imo.

You nailed me there Rope, I never tried it until I modded the muffler. I still don't think I would try it with a 32" bar if the saw was stock though.

8 pin works for me.

I bought my 044 from a tree faller in northern Kalyfornya; came with 3/4 wrap, 34 inch bar, full chisel, full skip, and an 8 pin sprocket. Never had any problem with it, seems to cut fast enough for me, although I was not cutting hardwoods.
Cheers, Brian.

Back