spruce?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ-Bill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone burn spruce?

I have tons and tons, I don't plan or cutting any directly to use as firewood but I will clearing a lot where I plan on building a garage, and I'll probably cut more in the back getting to the hardwood..

how long does it take to dry? does it burn fast as pine?

I would split and season it for a year like anything else.Not as sappy as pine just not a high output heating wood.

Haven't burnt any with the exception of a little used as kindling. Will say that I got read the riot act by an old Yankee when I divulged that I used some 6' lengths for fill. "Why'd you do that? That spruce is some good burning!" he scolded.

Hey, you burn what you got. Downeast Maine has plenty of spruce and fir woodlands harvested for pulp logs for the paper mills. My lots have a mix of hardwoods and too much spruce and fir that we do use for: shoulder season quick fires morning and night; for the workshop steel stove--fast short heat; for the hot tub Snorkel stove; and for selling pulp logs. :givebeer: Oh yeah, the softwood fires smell nice for that romance you need boy. :jawdrop:
Many northern regions -- Alaska, Newfoundland, and many Maine islands--have nothing but spruce and fir to burn.
Split it right, season it enough, it burns fast but fine. It dries split and aired in an easy 3-6 months. Forget the myths abouth creosoting when burning softwoods: just do hot fires.:clap:

I figured it just burned fast.. I have it.. It's coming down anyway. I'll just stack it and spit it next year for nexr fall.. I wouldn't pay for it, but since I have i'll burn it..:givebeer:

Yeah here in Alaska spruce is good wood. Often too good for firewood even. You could build with it, or burn it.
Its the strongest wood for its weight you know. Thats how the spruce goose was possible. In WW2 Russians I think it was made airplane parts out of it also.

Yeah here in Alaska spruce is good wood. Often too good for firewood even. You could build with it, or burn it.
Its the strongest wood for its weight you know. Thats how the spruce goose was possible. In WW2 Russians I think it was made airplane parts out of it also.

===

Actually

"The ribs and frame of the Spruce Goose were made out of birch wood"

and Doug Fir is a species of Spruce,,who'd thunk it????

So I guess it best answer depends on what species of spruce you dealing with...

Doug Fir is excellant fire wood...

Last edited:
Back