Spur climbing with figure-8?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the late reply, I missed this thread somehow.

G'day Treebarber, any mates of Jeff must be cool.

When I spur up the trunk of a tree or palm I tie a running bowline on my lifeline and leave it a little slack. I flip this up along with the flip line. If you gaff out or something it'll grab and hold you.

If you get to a branch etc, just untie the running bowline, chuck it over the branch, and retie it to your centre D's for the flip line drop and change over.

Once that limb has been passed and if the next one is ages away I retie to a choked bowline and start flipping the two together again.

If I'm blocking down the trunk I'll cinch off my prussik real tight up against this set up.

Now, if you are going to have a figure 8 in the system you need to back it up with a prussik of some types.

I hope this helps.

Oh, I have gaffed out of a few palms and got a gut graze and the set up held.

woodchux said:
Does a blakes hitch work on doubled rope?

Yes it does though in theory you should be running six turns and in under two on doubled rope when usinfg a blakes hitch...

Personally I would always backup above my descent device as there is far too much room for error and running down on top of the friction hitch if it is below the descent/mechanical device even if the device is above you a way and the hitch attachment is close and away from the descent device...

Just my 5c...

Cheers all!

Ekka - how are you choking the bowline? Some special knot? It looked really good on your video. I assume you are running a different cord to the bowline rope, tying on with a blake's hitch?

Jeff - thanks for the description. I think a picture would be good though:)

All friction hitches will work on doubled, Dd, ropes. There are innumerable variables because of rope composition and gear configurations. As usual, try out everything...Low and Slow.

using a double wrap on the figure eight isn't a bad idea. When descent knots are tested the figure eight generally develops the lowest friction. Why not get a biner with a large, HMS top like the Gecko from ISC and use a Munter Hitch? More friction and less gear.

Arbos muscle memory isn't developed along the lines of grab to stop. We work in a let go/lock off scenario. I prefer to see arbos use a setup that mimics this. A Gri Gri or Cinch works really well and can be prerigged on the access line.

Latest posts

Back