Square Grinding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
Since I am the undisputed and unchallenged square filer East of the Rockies, I thought I would post a few pictures of my acomplishments.
John

square chisel

John your right...
Steve here... Nice tooth. I figured if you can't square file neither can I, so I bought a square grinder too...

Hey guys I would have to say that those cutters look good,but I was wondering if you guys could tell me a good place to pick up a Silvey Grinder ??

Later Rob.

Something to watch on the Razor Sharp are the rubber boots on thr swing arm. I am on my third slide assembly. This last one seemed better sealed from the factory and I added a bit of sealant around the outside edges of the boots. Its lasted for over five years now. Blow or brush off regularly.

Going from square to round

I bought a used saw awhile back and decided I would get it out and try it out a bot more than what I had done right after I got it. The chain it came with has been square filed. I do not square file, and hate taking stuff to the shop if I dont have to. My question to you then is can I tae it from square back to round, without ruining the chain, or my arm. Am I better off just getting a new chain and hanging another unique conversation piece on the wall? I will need to get a chain to fit a 36" bar and thats not fun either.
Thanks Oh Gurus of filedome. JB

Hi John, there is no problem changing sq. to rnd., or rnd to sq. You may find that the angle under the top plate is lower than what your round grinder will put in, but this is no biggy.
Hope this helps.
John

Going back to round

Johncinco; It will take very little to bring it back to round. You dont have to remove all of the square grind evidence on the sideplate inside. Just round file till you establish new top and side plate edges with the round file and after a few filings it will be entirely gone.

Frank

Thanks Guys

That will save me buying at least one chain for awhile. My grinder is Armstrong powered but it sounds like I do not have to get rid of all the square, just keep using the round until it is all gone with regular use.

Whisker colour and reading glasses.

When you're real good you can do it blindfolded, but why don't you admit your age and put on your reading glasses on Gypo?

Magnum,
Why don't you take a run up to Ontario and visit Lambert? I was talking to him last night and neither one of us could understand why you haven't been up there yet. Maybe Willock will go along for the ride as well.

Doug if I got invited I more than likely would go up there to visit I like to drive places ..If Ryan wanted to go I'm sure I could drag him along too:D

Later Rob..

Hey Rob. My brother John and I would love to have you guys come up here and play with some saws and the Silvey. Let me know when you want to do it.
Franks Planks

You name the time and I'll be there but I made need some directions ??Ah the joys of self employment :D Send me a PM or Email me.

Later Rob..

Hi Rob, Doug should be coming here in the near. I dont usually volunteer someones help, but I am sure he wouldnt mind if you came along with him. PM Doug to make arrangements with him.
John

Thanks John I'll see if I can arrange something I would love to come hangout and bring a few saws to play with..well I just sent Doug a PM hopefully he checks his PM box sometime..

Later Rob..

Latest posts

Back