Square ground chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian,
How well do you like that Silvey and how easy is it to use? If I get into square I'd like to find a grinder and be done with it.

Brian,
How well do you like that Silvey and how easy is it to use? If I get into square I'd like to find a grinder and be done with it.
Took a bit to figure it out ,once i started using the stops i got better even chains ,the first cutter is for setup ,adjust the knobs ,then just roll around and pull the lever back with a light touch tiill it quits grinding ,then keep going on to the next ones ,when you flip to the left from right ,you need to make sure the first cutter is same as the rh ones ,after that it goes quick ,with a blue wheel i can get a little sharper edge ,but it takes a lighter touch over the grey one ,the salmon gives a decent edge also and is half the price of the blue one .

Thanks, I am new to the square ground setup. I have square ground skip on my sp125 and I love how much faster it cuts. It's starting to get dull now and I'm looking to get a setup so I can sharpen it. I'm thinking about converting the majority of my saws over to square. None of the shops around here can grind square so I must go it alone.

Swing arm is the cheapest and easiest to use.

I prefer filing since it can be done on the bar.

If I was production cutting them a new Simington would be the choice. If you cut a lot and sharpen 10 chains or more a week a grinder is worth it. It would even be worth selling a saw to find a quality grinder whether it be a Stihl Usg or silvey square or round.

Brian - Which Silvey do you have? I may be selling a bagging system for my Hustler Super Z soon (the industrial clamshell one). That should free up the $$$ for a VEYY good grinder of some fashion. I just haven't decided on square or round (although eventually I'd like to have both). For the farmers around here that I sharpen for the 511 or Maxx would be fine (for me to really). However after having played with some square chains on different saws, I like the way they cut a lot better and most of my cutting is clean anyway. I think I could do a hand full of semi-chisel loops in varying sizes for crappy cutting and a ripping chain or two for noodling and do the rest of the cutting square.

Simington is the only choice for parts now. Silvey parts have almost dried up. A swing arm parts aren't hard to make. A good round grinder makes chain sharpening easy.

Square noodles as good or better than ripping chain. The ripping angles make a narrower kerf and clogs easier. 404 is even better.

Glad I can help you spend the money[emoji12]

Brian - Which Silvey do you have? I may be selling a bagging system for my Hustler Super Z soon (the industrial clamshell one). That should free up the $$$ for a VEYY good grinder of some fashion. I just haven't decided on square or round (although eventually I'd like to have both). For the farmers around here that I sharpen for the 511 or Maxx would be fine (for me to really). However after having played with some square chains on different saws, I like the way they cut a lot better and most of my cutting is clean anyway. I think I could do a hand full of semi-chisel loops in varying sizes for crappy cutting and a ripping chain or two for noodling and do the rest of the cutting square.
Razur2 is model like was said silvey quit production but used comr up once in a while 5-600 should buy a good used one

The other thing with square is files are normally $7-11 / ea. It does not take long filing before you've invested a small fortune in files. Yes you can buy a bunch of files for $600-700 but if you are just starting out or converting round to square... you'll eat a file up in short order. Square files do not last too long.

The straight across vallorbee last longer than the others. Problem is $100/dozen. A dozen should last a casual cutter a year or better. Production cutter might not get that long.

The straight across vallorbee last longer than the others. Problem is $100/dozen. A dozen should last a casual cutter a year or better. Production cutter might not get that long.
:crazy2: I have a question for long time square users: How well does it hold up in dead, dry hardwood? Also, is a wood dull square chain still faster than a round filed chain?

Back