Stack or leave in pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildeman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a good problem. We had to drop four bigish oaks and beech trees around my house to get some septic work done. I dropped them (with adult supervision from a neighbor) then I bucked, mauled and carried by hand uphill both ways to my truck to take them to my wood area. I have couple of wood sheds that hold about 5 cords. Well they are full of this winters wood and some of next years, I was not expecting these new trees but I will use them eventually . So i have just tossed the wood in a pile some rounds most 1/4 rounds. Can I be lazy and wait for space to open up then fill my shed or do I stack it then move it again? I will have room by spring, I just hate moving wood several times if I can avoid it.

Personally, once wood goes on my truck it gets stacked when coming off because it's easier to stack when it's off the ground and higher up, even if I'm going to move it again. Since you alread made a pile I would leave it until room becomes available. Life is better the less times you handle your wood. :D

You get the idea. ;)

Once I get rounds up to the official stacking area, I stack the unsplit rounds or quarters up on something, anything, old pine logs, etc. I just hate to let good wood touch the ground once it is cut.

Now I have just thrown it into a mountain, not happy with the speed of checking. If the rounds will sit for awhile, I want them to have every advantage and to start to check, helps with splitting later on, plus sometimes the bark will come off in sheets, which is much mo bettah.

I never have more than a single tote box or small trailer load, so I don't mind the preliminary stacking. Just anything at all to get them off the ground a little.

If I was doing 200 cord a year, most likely a conveyor and windrows.

I have left lesser woods than oak in 16 blocks and in big pile for 2 years before..no trouble..wood was fine on the inside..even had it piled directly on the ground..it was sandy ground tho

I have left lesser woods than oak in 16 blocks and in big pile for 2 years before..no trouble..wood was fine on the inside..even had it piled directly on the ground..it was sandy ground tho

I split some oak last week that was laying in swamp ground for a year and a half. The outside one inch or so was punky, but inside was fine. Actually was the easiest wood to hand split I have touched in quite awhile.

Still wish I had drug it out sooner, still a bunch down there, but I need to cut up a big trunk first, and it is muddy. The pickers grew up around it bad, vines, pickers, saplings. I might wait until cold weather, that's getting down to the copperhead swamp.

I split some oak last week that was laying in swamp ground for a year and a half. The outside one inch or so was punky, but inside was fine. Actually was the easiest wood to hand split I have touched in quite awhile.

Still wish I had drug it out sooner, still a bunch down there, but I need to cut up a big trunk first, and it is muddy. The pickers grew up around it bad, vines, pickers, saplings. I might wait until cold weather, that's getting down to the copperhead swamp.
Yep...copperheads can be downright evil!:eek:

I seldom stack anything and haven't seen any difference in how fast it dries. The sooner you get it split the less rot and the quicker it will dry.
The only time I stack is when I want to speed the drying process, not that stacking makes drying faster, just that it fits with the way I get more hot air to flow around the sticks.
A lot of my wood does get stacked but that's all the lady's doing and it's usually dry before she gets round to it.

I have a good problem. We had to drop four bigish oaks and beech trees around my house to get some septic work done. I dropped them (with adult supervision from a neighbor) then I bucked, mauled and carried by hand uphill both ways to my truck to take them to my wood area. I have couple of wood sheds that hold about 5 cords. Well they are full of this winters wood and some of next years, I was not expecting these new trees but I will use them eventually . So i have just tossed the wood in a pile some rounds most 1/4 rounds. Can I be lazy and wait for space to open up then fill my shed or do I stack it then move it again? I will have room by spring, I just hate moving wood several times if I can avoid it.
Get pallets spread out on the ground and stack your wood on them stores have pallets they wood be glad to give them to you. If you stack the wood on pallets top row turn the bark up it will dry as quick as the wood in your building. Then as you feel like it move a load up or just leave it there win win way out

As long as the wood is off the ground, you should be fine for a short term.
I would leave it uncovered until the temp drops down where mold cant grow on it then cover it for the winter.

Back