Stacking firewood on pallets outside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10-15 years for a decent pallet. Found some from ww2 at the farm this winter.

I stack outside on pallets.
I put down 4 pieces of 1" pvc under the pallets so they don't contact the ground and they last virtually forever.
You can also screw the pvc to the underside of the pallet before laying it down to make it a simple setup.
6 Cheap bricks will do just as nice a job and allow air under the pallet to dry things much faster.

For those of you that stack firewood on pallets, how long do the pallets last before they start to rot or breakdown? And how do the pallets handle the weight of the wood? Do you have to reinforce them? I normally do not stack wood outside but we have a little extra wood this year and it needs some time to dry. I have 5 pallets placed in a row with t-posts on the ends to help keep it from falling over. There is enough room to be able to stack 2 rows. How long would be too long without any support on the back side of the stack?

Where I am using the pallets, they are sitting directly on the ground, no rock.
I use pallets, but i build my own all out of scrap wood there is only one place that will actually saves them for me is the stihl shop where i get all my equipment. otherwise i get charged 1.00 a pallet. I generally can get quite a few years out of them, i may have to replace a board or two no and again, but all mine sit on gravel for drainage so that they are never in water. Another thing i do is give them a coat of Thompson's water-seal I know it seams like extra work, but i cant afford to waste money , just make sure they are really dried before you put cut wood on them! ;.)

My pallets seem to last 5 or 6 years, some longer, some less. I usually seem to break the slats by stepping on them before they rot out. Given that they are often well used with some cracked slats when I get them its not too bad for free. You should be able to stack any length rows you want. My longest has been 16 skids long (held about 7 cord)

attachment.php
I thought I was the only one that breaks stuff when I step on it. I've broken many pallets by stepping on them.
I need to pick up some more pallets this weekend. Lucky thing is I work at a huge factory in an industrial area with lots of free pallets everywhere.

Most of the slats are too far apart and/or too thin. That's why they break when you step on them, especially when carrying a round. Nail on narrower slats between the others and close the gap. Your ankles will also love you for that.

I use pallets for the base and then turn one on end for the end of the row and anchor it with two fencing T posts in the fork gap so that it holds up to the weight and stresses and have had no issue. Very easy way to stack and maintain inventory control.

Latest posts

Back