Stacking Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I Fell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I stack my split wood under a completely waterproof lean-to off the end of my 24' garage. My question is: is it best to stack it bark side up, or down? Obviously bark side up is best for a scenerio where your stack may get rained on, but I wonder if, under cover, the moisture in the wood escapes better if it is stacked bark side down.

Or does it matter at all?

Well i would say that you will stack them sunny side up and down (bark down and up) to make them stack easier and more compact. (ie more wood in a smaller space).

In my mind it doesnt matter either way, you said they are covered so rain aint a problem.

I don't think it matters. Air circulation is the key.

It doesn't matter. It is only going to get dry to a certain point. Bark up or bark down is splitting hairs on a bald head.

Thanks. Newfie: I guess I was thinking about this with a short time frame in mind. Like if I just felled, bucked, chopped and stacked some very green/wet wood, would it be dryer by October of this year if it was stacked bark side down, rather than bark side up. I'm no physics expert, but somethin' in the back of my wee little brain tells me that the moisture might get out of the wood quicker this way. Hmmmmm.

The old timers say to stack your wood with spaces in between each piece, so a squirrel can run through it, but the cat chasing it can't.

What I believe to be true, is that unless you live somewhere like Seatle, where it rains constantly, leaving your wood open to the exposure, including rain, makes for the fastest curing time.
You see, the rain soaks the wood which causes swelling and pore expansion then the rain is quickly evaporated shortly after it rains, leaving more open pores to dry the inner portions of wood.
Not covering it also allows hot sun to shine on the wood, that also helps the cycle, not to mention, open areas allow more air movement.
Once your wood is dry the way you like it, cover it up to retain the remaining moisture so it doesn't get too dry, and keep the snow off.

I Fell said:
Thanks. Newfie: I guess I was thinking about this with a short time frame in mind. Like if I just felled, bucked, chopped and stacked some very green/wet wood, would it be dryer by October of this year if it was stacked bark side down, rather than bark side up. I'm no physics expert, but somethin' in the back of my wee little brain tells me that the moisture might get out of the wood quicker this way. Hmmmmm.

Cut and split now is plenty of time for it to be dry as its gonna be by October. Firewood, just like air-dried lumber will only dry to the point where its moisture content is in equilibrium w/ the surrounding air. Beyond that requires artificial means such as a kiln.

I will cut and split firewood up until June and sell it in september as seasoned. Never had a complaint, just the opposite in fact.

Long story short, stack it any way you want, I think you will be safe by Ocyober.

Cheers!

I forgot to say too that it's sitting on dry 1/2" crushed rock. I can see how more space underneath would be better, maybe on the next stack.

Latest posts

Back