Stacking: The "red-headed stepchild" of firewood processing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbooga

cords of mystic memory
Reaction score
No one here it seems likes the stacking part of the process.

Personally, I love stacking. Once the wood is up - it means the job's done. I can either relax or else go haul another bunch of truckloads of rounds to the staging area.

In addition to the feeling of being done, stacking's like the adult equivalent of playing blocks. Guess it's the little boy in me - and I ain't about to make him leave. Wouldn't be fair - after all he was there first. That, and we have a lotta fun together.

Stacking is the quickest and least labor intensive of all the tasks involved in processing wood. Easy to see what has been done when the stacking if finished.

I'd much rather stack than load and unload the truck.

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'd much rather stack than load and unload the truck.

I'm with ya there, but I'm so anal retentive, that it takes me forever to stack the wood also.

I knocked down a dozen or so maples today without any problem, and then came across that one that wanted to go the other way..............saw stuck in the tree..............chained it to a tree in the direction I wanted it to go and ratcheted it to head the other way...........which was my way, at that time, I was thinking .........I would love to be stacking wood now...............nobody dies from stacking....................anyway all turned out OK, however I took down a dozen trees fairly fast, but you get one that wants to be a pain, and it can take a #### load of time, and usually puts an end to your day................I think I will go enjoy life:)

The consensus seems to be that everyone likes stacking.......when it's finished.

Think you nailed that one, Brother Laird!

I do actually kinda like stacking, but only because those nice long straight stacks are comforting to look at all summer.

Besides, piles of unstacked firewood are pretty unsightly to me, and promote a lot of weed growth that's hard to maintain.

As I drive around the countryside, I tend to want to believe that those with the neat stacks are fellow AS brethren, and that the wood tossers are the unwashed heathens of the wood burning society. Hey, it could be.

I'd like to go stack some wood now, but I have to mow the freaking lawn. Betcha somewhere out there there's a website full of pimple faced millionaire wannabes who get all wet thinking of lawn mowing, but it aint me :D:D:D!

I like stacking. I also like when the other family members come around to see my neatly stacked piles & comment how obsesive I am.
The only thing worst than stacking-----is restacking after a poorly stacked pile falls over.

My favorite part of the whole process is dragging large rounds out of the woods onto the logging road.

putting my atv in 4 low and watching it effortlessly pull 10' x 20" rounds out the woods gives me a slight arousal:greenchainsaw:

stacking isn't bad, but we have recently started stacking in a U shape(16'+ x 20'+), filling the middle without stacking, just throwing it in, and then stack the last leg of the U to form a box. all the looks of stacked wood, but half the work.

It seems to me that most of the firewood operations around here do not stack wood...in fact they don't even split it until the last minute! They block the wood into rounds and leave those out to "season", then split to order.

Ask me how I know. When I asked a few sellers why they do not stack, I got the same answer....we don't have the room or time, and nobody complains. Well, except me.

As a seller of campfire wood, I have found the wood seasons faster and better if split ahead of time, and stacked. Makes it easier to work with as well. As a burner of heating wood, again the stacks are easier to work with, cover, and take up less room in the yard.

At least that is the one part of getting firewood where I can drink adult beverages without fear of safety issues.

:givebeer:
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back