So I Get A CAll From A Distant Neighbor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A lady that I know that heats with wood, calls me.....She asks: "is your wood splitter pretty heavy duty?" I said: "yes it is." She adds:, can you come over and split some oak I have, i'll pay you what ever you think is fair." So, I make plans with her to show up today, and as she already knew my back is shot, she added that she would have a couple "helpers" there.

So I show up over there, and she had at least 50 red oak blocks like this one,

standard.jpg

and a bunch more this size!

standard.jpg

My helpers set the blocks on the splitter, (along with chain sawing out more of them) and along with her, they filled/stacked all they could get in the building in the pict... THEN continued to make a stack outside too! lol

I pushed every one of them through the 4-way and some of them were so big they had to be pushed through 3 and 4 times to get them down to "burning" size! Damn, she had some BIG blocks over there, and most of them were tough crotches!

It took 3 hours of steady hard work, but I got it done! lol Boy, was she ever impressed! lol AND those poor young guys, I worked there buts off! lol

She paid me well, I hope they got paid well too...

SR

Well, that worked out well for everyone. Nice fat ones there! You get a lot of wood out of those mambo rounds, and a lot of it with no bark, the best part.

Well, that worked out well for everyone. Nice fat ones there! You get a lot of wood out of those mambo rounds, and a lot of it with no bark, the best part.
To me....the larger the round the better. If all I can get are huge 30"-72" across rounds I would be in heaven. It's all solid wood with very very little bark. No bark No mess.
I personally would not classify those as large/mombo rounds.

I'm with u. The bigger the better. Maybe cause I can get a skid loader splitter and I also have a log lift on my splitter. Haven't found a block I can't split yet.

I'm with landmark, its important we teach the next generation how to work, and I mean work hard. I'm 33 and I can't tell you how many 20 somethings we go thru at work. Shoot, you should see how few of us 30 somethings there are. More 40+ 'rs than anything else. Sad, my pops blames the youth, I blame the old. The old made it too damn easy for the youth to be a bunch of slackers. Turned them into a bunch of lazy slackers. When I was young I would often be mad that pops made me work like I was one of the crew, no I'm gratefull. Good for you Sawyer,teach them youngsters how to work!

I agree most teenagers don't have the right work ethic. They expect everything to b given to them. The farmers I help out say they stop making little bales cause they can't find high school help and it's even harder for stone pickers. I'm 35 and have no problem picking up the extra cash. Kids get crabby when they can't have the steering wheel or skid loader levers in their hands. My 2 and 4 yr olds go with me till they get tired and cry when mom comes n gets them. They will have a good work ethic I hope.

I'm with landmark, its important we teach the next generation how to work, and I mean work hard. I'm 33 and I can't tell you how many 20 somethings we go thru at work. Shoot, you should see how few of us 30 somethings there are. More 40+ 'rs than anything else. Sad, my pops blames the youth, I blame the old. The old made it too damn easy for the youth to be a bunch of slackers. Turned them into a bunch of lazy slackers. When I was young I would often be mad that pops made me work like I was one of the crew, no I'm gratefull. Good for you Sawyer,teach them youngsters how to work!
dang true!!! lots of hippie generation parents,, spoiled the twerps rotten...and now they are older,, and think the same,, and worse.....

Bet those young men in the photo got a sense of accomplishment that they have never had before. That good feeling when a hard job is done is contagious. Good on you for giving them that opportunity.

I can see how tired they are-in the first picture it looks like they are holding each other up! :p

Very good job you guys did, and they are being taught well as others have said. You helped her out of a jam too-just hope she knows not to try to burn it this Winter....

Gotta watch you don't pinch your fingers on big rounds like that, but I'm sure you all know that already from"experience" :eek: :mad: Ouch!!!!

Great job!!!:clap:

Thanks guys...

Most of those oak blocks were tough crotches, left behind because the tree cutter who left them didn't want to split them. Him and i had logged a few acres for her and she had already sold the logs, he took some easy to split firewood and left those behind... I took what ever I could get as it came out, but I didn't know what was left behind for her...

You should have heard my helpers cheer when the last block went on the splitter! lol lol They were even doing a count down when we got down to 15 or so, I got a kick out of that too! lol

Thanks again,

SR

I must be sick, that looks like fun! I'd like to give that timberwolf a test drive for sure.

I used to hate doing firewood. my dad had me start helping stack when I was 6 and by the time I was 8 I was splitting. we would do 6-8 cords of alder, fir, and cedar a year but that was in WA state where it was warm. we moved to ND when I was 12 and dad bought a splitter, I always preferred splitting with a maul. we would split around 12 cords of ash elm cottonwood and box-elder. I hated elm and cottonwood as elm is so stringy and cottonwood is mush. I left home at 18 in 2005 after mom died from brain cancer and went to work on the west coast and thought I'd never do firewood again! ha! my boss burned wood and I had to cut and split for him. moved to Missouri in 2010 and the house I lived in only had wood heat so I went and bought my first Stihl saw, a used 031 for $150 from the local Stihl shop. I came to like doing firewood that year and now after moving back to ND I sell firewood and even my used to be city slicker wife enjoys it! we take our two children out with us when we go and hope one day to have them out helping us as well. I am so grateful to my parents (and older brother) for making me to work so hard. I now really enjoy working, I have never had any difficulty finding a job any where and I owe that to my parents. I now have my dads old 026 that he bought used when I was 3 or 4. it still works and I take it out once in a while and cut with it. he also gave me his 455 husky when he quit burning wood last year. I will always treasure the old 026 though. I have way to many fond memmorys of the whole family out cutting wood and that saw brings back many of them. I really hope to be able to pass the saw on to my son when he is old enough.

We had work to do every day after school. They called them "chores" for all you youngsters reading this out there. No sitting around playing videos or on youtube. We didn't answer the phone or the door, open the fridge or watch TV without permission from our Parents.
We walked, rode our bike to school or work, no whining for our Parents to drive us everywhere. If you wanted to go to a friend's house Dad would tell you that you had two feet, get walking.
I learned to use tools and create solutions from an early age. I learned to cook, clean and sew from my Mom as well as Dad teaching me how to tend gardens, cut wood, build and fix just about anything.
I'm very grateful to them for instilling me with a good work ethic and taking the time to teach me useful skills.

We had work to do every day after school. They called them "chores" for all you youngsters reading this out there. No sitting around playing videos or on youtube. We didn't answer the phone or the door, open the fridge or watch TV without permission from our Parents.
We walked, rode our bike to school or work, no whining for our Parents to drive us everywhere. If you wanted to go to a friend's house Dad would tell you that you had two feet, get walking.
I learned to use tools and create solutions from an early age. I learned to cook, clean and sew from my Mom as well as Dad teaching me how to tend gardens, cut wood, build and fix just about anything.
I'm very grateful to them for instilling me with a good work ethic and taking the time to teach me useful skills.

That's EXACTLY how I grew up, and as soon as my "chores" were done, I had a gun in my hands and off I would go, out into the woods!

SR

Latest posts

Back