Stacking: The "red-headed stepchild" of firewood processing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:agree2:stacked wood gives me something to lean up against and drink after a long hard day of processing. thats why i like it:cheers:

A good looking stack of fire wood is like a good looking woman I never get tired of looking at it (or her) and I thank it smells good also?

I can look a my wood all summer long and just cant wait for winter to come around so I can get into it.

Cornbread

Ok - gotta admit, reasons in my OP notwithstanding - this is the real reason I like stackin. :cheers::givebeer:

All of the above Msr. WB. None of the "PPE" stuff, no noise, intelligent self-conversation......and the syndrome of all firewood freaks: THE WOODPILES

Right hands up. Now: are there any stackers around, who don't walk away from a recent stack job and LOOK BACK ? Be honest now.

Any stacker who sneaks a peek and and a snort of the pile from time to time, at all hours ?

It's The Woodpiles.

No one here it seems likes the stacking part of the process.

Personally, I love stacking. Once the wood is up - it means the job's done. I can either relax or else go haul another bunch of truckloads of rounds to the staging area.

In addition to the feeling of being done, stacking's like the adult equivalent of playing blocks. Guess it's the little boy in me - and I ain't about to make him leave. Wouldn't be fair - after all he was there first. That, and we have a lotta fun together.

I wouldn't mind stacking so much if my left elbow would ever heal. Cut, split and stacked 10 cord last fall in the space of a couple weeks and the tendons/ligaments in my left elbow have been in bad shape since. I wear a softwrap brace, take ibuprofen and so on, but rest is what it really needs, and I never get more than a couple days in a row before I have to use it again.

But even if I liked stacking, which I really don't, I'd still prefer an OWB so the logs could go right there and I could cut the wood as needed and not have to do so much splitting and stacking. Lots of the folks I know with OWBs handle the wood far less than I have to with my basement wood furnace and lack of expansive yard/property.

The only sense of satisfaction I get from stacking is when it's all over and I know I've got next winter's fuel all laid up and ready to go. By that time, it's usually hunting season and my mind can turn from chainsaws to guns. :D :D

Oh I get some much enjoyment over stackin 16-20 full cord a year :buttkick::laugh: sucks the pile mode takes up too much space.........

r7pto5.jpg
we stack just the ends

this year I've been stacking as I split, It gives me a little break between logs. the first 3 1/2cords I split by hand. (old pics)
attachment.php

attachment.php

The next 3 1/2 I'll use the splitter. (new pics)
attachment.php

attachment.php

[

I'd like to go stack some wood now, but I have to mow the freaking lawn. Betcha somewhere out there there's a website full of pimple faced millionaire wannabes who get all wet thinking of lawn mowing, but it aint me :D:D:D![/QUOTE]

That is freekin funny. I work with some of those people. I too would love to do anything but mow the lawn. What a waste of time.

Sorry, don't know how to work the quote thing apparently. I highlighted the quoted stuff instead.

Last edited:
Stacking is not for me, I've got better things in life to do - fishing, hunting, putting in food plots, etc. I just stack the ends to conserve space in my shed.

All of the above Msr. WB. None of the "PPE" stuff, no noise, intelligent self-conversation......and the syndrome of all firewood freaks: THE WOODPILES
Yeah...it's kinda like church. The United Assembly of Cord. Or for us papists, Our Blessed Lady of the Oaks.

Right hands up. Now: are there any stackers around, who don't walk away from a recent stack job and LOOK BACK ? Be honest now.

Gotta admit I do. But so does muh ketteh when he's dropped a deuce in the box. Not sure if it's coincidence or correlation.

cat.jpg

Last edited:
I set the splitter up and surround myself with rounds split em and flip em over my shoulder for the oldest boy to get. Then when I'm done, or the pile is to big I stand by the stack and have all 3 of the kids bring em to me and then I stack them that way , works so far

There is just something very Feng Shui about a big nicely stacked pile of firewood. You wait until I get up to my brother's place this summer and take pics of his operation. There is nothing like a few acres of firewood stacked in neat perfect rows with square ends, perfect 4'2" high and hundreds of feet long and each row a perfect 10" from the next row. It is a sight to behold. The problem is that he has his <2000 face cords in various locations around his 10 acres so you can't see the full effect of all of it while standing in one place. Goggle Earth has pictures, but they are several years old.

I use my wood stack as a barrier between my neighbors I don't like.
This years pile a couple weeks ago. Holes are filled in now. 31 pallets long.
attachment.php

I'm with everyone else. I like it when it is done.

I'll give it a shot. I'm taking a joint-healing vitamin supplement daily and it doesn't seem to be helping at all.

Most of what you get in stores is glucosamine HCL. What you want is glucosamine sulfate. Hard to find, but it does rebuild joint cartilage.

The Dr. Christopher's stuff is different - it promotes the body's healing abilities. The glucosamine supplies raw materials. For best results, use both.

Most of what you get in stores is glucosamine HCL. What you want is glucosamine sulfate. Hard to find, but it does rebuild joint cartilage. The Dr. Christopher's stuff is different - it promotes the body's healing abilities. The glucosamine supplies raw materials. For best results, use both.

Gotcha, Doc. Just checked the bottle, and it's HCL indeed. Will follow your advice, and thanks! :D

Just ordered several hundred tablets each of Dr. Christopher's Complete Tissue and Bone and glucosamine sulfate. Thanks again, Dr. BRM. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back