Stacks on a Diesel pickup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a set of stacks on my 03 Dodge. Could anyone tell me how hot it gets and how much it cost?
Is this something that's easily done in the drive way or should I take it to a shop? Any other advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

stacks

They will get hot enough to melt plastic bags in the bed. You can buy kits from different places and put them on at home.

Yeah they dent pretty easy. They get hot enough I would be afraid it would catch the wood on fire. I've bought two trucks that had them when I got them and I usually take them out quick. They give me a headache in about 2 hours of driving.

You have to put them on the right pickup.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow - lotsa haters.... Umm..... I have had my stacks for like 4 years..... No problems, and I love 'em!! :monkey: :cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I saw a set awhile back that I thought were pretty cool, they were made out of five in. square tubing that had been twisted till round then dipped in chrome. They would definatly get your attention.

Knowing the words that i say when i see a truck with stacks on it would permanately keep me from putting them on my truck.

:agree2:

No haters here... just the voices of harsh reality. It's just a plain stupid thing to do to your truck... :popcorn:

When it comes time to sell your truck those stacks will knock thousands of $'s off of the value of your truck, unless you come across some other schlub that is trying to make up for some deficiency in his life...

Sorry to be blunt, but that's the reality of it, IMHO.

Last edited:

No haters here... just the voices of harsh reality. It's just a plain stupid thing to do to your truck... :popcorn:

When it comes time to sell your truck those stacks will knock thousands of $'s off of the value of your truck, unless you come across some other schlub that is trying to make up for some deficiency in his life...

Aww dammit, didnt know I was a schlub.

Catman, those stacks would look ok if the truck had a headache rack. Work trucks have headache racks.

Sorry to be blunt, but I think you need to understand that your opinion isn't reality... Its an opinion. It doesn't hurt the resale of the truck in any way... Maybe YOU wouldn't buy it, but you're a schlub... Sorry, I have opinions too.

Banshee, I had a set on my 97 Dodge. 6" mitre cut's, almost level with the cab. I loved how they looked and how they sounded (I had a MBRP Silverline muffler on it). They only complaint I ever got was from guys riding in the back seat for more than an hour. It was loud as heck with the rear sliding window open. Its not difficult to install them yourself, but you'll need a good jigsaw to cut out the hole in the bed. The rest of it is basically plumbing, just make sure you use a decent flexpipe otherwise it'll leak.

Oh yeah, and if your truck smokes at all, be prepared to wash it often. Soot builds up ALL OVER the bed of the truck, and it easily rubs off onto clothes if you brush up against it.

attachment.php

Sorry to be blunt, but I think you need to understand that your opinion isn't reality... Its an opinion. It doesn't hurt the resale of the truck in any way... Maybe YOU wouldn't buy it, but you're a schlub... Sorry, I have opinions too.

Banshee, I had a set on my 97 Dodge. 6" mitre cut's, almost level with the cab. I loved how they looked and how they sounded (I had a MBRP Silverline muffler on it). They only complaint I ever got was from guys riding in the back seat for more than an hour. It was loud as heck with the rear sliding window open. Its not difficult to install them yourself, but you'll need a good jigsaw to cut out the hole in the bed. The rest of it is basically plumbing, just make sure you use a decent flexpipe otherwise it'll leak.

Oh yeah, and if your truck smokes at all, be prepared to wash it often. Soot builds up ALL OVER the bed of the truck, and it easily rubs off onto clothes if you brush up against it.

attachment.php

Wow... must have touched a nerve :cry:

Sorry to hurt your feelings, but not everyone thinks that those stacks look cool and sound great. And, I typed exactly what I meant, and meant exactly what I typed... the reality of my opinion (and many others probably) is that they look and sound stupid. Deal with it... get some skin.

You say that the stacks have no effect on the value of the vehicle... got any proof? :popcorn: It sure would shrink your group of perspective buyers, that's for sure.

Those are some good looking trucks guys. If I get one my mine I think I'm going with a single black stack.

For those haters on here. All I can say is look the other way. It's not your truck anyway so get over it.

I personally don't care for a lot of custom things on trucks, but so what. Lifes to short for me to worry about someone else business.

Wow... must have touched a nerve :cry:

Sorry to hurt your feelings, but not everyone thinks that those stacks look cool and sound great. And, I typed exactly what I meant, and meant exactly what I typed... the reality of my opinion (and many others probably) is that they look and sound stupid. Deal with it... get some skin.

You say that the stacks have no effect on the value of the vehicle... got any proof? :popcorn: It sure would shrink your group of perspective buyers, that's for sure.

Yeah... I have proof that it doesn't effect the price... Go to any diesel forum, autotrader, cars.com, etc.

You touched a nerve for being an idiot like so many others to bash something they don't know a thing about. The group of prospective buyers on a modded truck is already small, and the number of guys that want a modded diesel is even smaller, but there are still plenty of those buyers out there, and stacks aren't going to deter them from buying a truck. Obviously, if its going to stop you, you aren't much of a gearhead, because its a 20 minute job to pull stacks off.

You say they sound stupid... How would you know? You obviously haven't driven a truck with stacks, and if you have it was for a very short time... From the outside they sound the exact same as any other diesel that has the same muffler and pipe size. My 4" stacks that were on the 97 before the 6"ers sounded identical to my buddies truck, except mine made the sound from above the cab, not under the bed.

FYI... I sold the 97 to an older guy, he's still driving it with the stacks on it, and I didn't have my price any lower than other trucks without stacks.

Great advice Banshee... The guys that say its stupid shouldn't have responded, but if they have nothing better to do with their time than #####, let em'. They probably couldn't afford as nice a truck anyways.

A friend of mine owes a truck lot all he sells is trucks. When he gets a truck with stacks he sell them either way and the price stays the same.

I'm waiting for him to find me one for mine off a trade in.

Around here stacks are popular due to the local truck pulls. A good percent of the trucks that run the pulls have stacks. They run cooler and is less resistive on the truck.

Back