Standing dead removals in a pond...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thillmaine1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a slew of standing dead removals in a pond. Various sizes, from 20 to 60 feet. Surrounding ground is marshy, so crane is out of the question. I did a ton of removals on the hudson with a crane on a barge. I presume this is way out of the question monetarily in this situation. Anybody run into this before? Ideas? No other live trees anywhere near them. I might be able run a high line all the way across the pond and rig whole trees onto a boat...But isnt there a better way?

Is it possible to flop them, then winch them out?

How deep is the pond? Wader material or will you have to work off a boat?

How far from shore? How far from solid ground?

You can do amazing things with an excavator, especially if they have a "thumb", and they are easily rented. 45' reach is not uncommon, and they can go almost anywhere.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I also have had the same thoughts. Excavator could work, except I am trying to maintain the integrity of the pond and not mud it up or destroy the shoreline. Also a big machine that (JD 160 or comprable is about 1000 a day plus delivery, these people dont have big wallets)Chain or rope and skidsteer was my idea, but I think it still has to wait till winter. Awfully marshy where it is and I dont want DEC or any other regulatory agencies involved. Pond is 3 to 6 feet deep. I could flop them out of a boat or dock, but my concern isit will be more of a mess then anything. THey have been dead for a while, 3 years plus so they will def self destruct on their way down. Im not looking to run a pool skimmer over a 3 acre pond.

we did a job like this last year about this time. flopped them out into the lake then hooked the jet ski up to 30" dbh maple, pop., oak and pulled them to the other side then pulled them up the bank with a skid-steer. in hindsight we could of got away with a john boat and trolling motor. it was a piece of cake. good luck and bid high.

If you have a really tall tree. set back from the bank,
put a block up high,Run your rope or cable from the top of the takedown. to the to the block and
down thru a block at the stump , low to the ground ,now hook it to a 4x4 tractor with the bucket full of logs.
drop it and pull it out,Don't pull the top out of the tree.
wait for freeze or everything will be covered with mud and ruin your chains(saw) John Rochester

I've been told that those excavators will just wade out into the middle of a pond and go to work; presuming the pond is not deeper than the engine.

An excavator would be able to rip the stump out well below the waterline. I presume that nobody would want stumps lurking about hidden below the water line.

Another option might involve siphoning the pond to a lower depth for improved access. I did that once with 4" pvc pipe. Assemble over the dam, using a t-fitting at the top. Cap both ends with a removable fitting. Fill from the top using 5 gallon buckes (or a pump, if you have one), cap the top, then un-cap the pond side first, then open up the drain side.

You would be amazed how fast water runs out a 4" siphon pipe !

OOPs , I intended to say ''run the rope from the BOTTOM of the take down, up thru the block and striaght down to the stump then thru a second
block to the tractor'' John Rochester

I've been told that those excavators will just wade out into the middle of a pond and go to work; presuming the pond is not deeper than the engine.

QUOTE]

That would depend on the bottom of the pond! If it has a foot or two of muck then a hard bottom thats one thing but if there is several feet of mud and muck thats another. I have seen over six stuck and its no fun getting them out if they can't pull them selves out with the bucket.

Billy

... I have seen over six stuck and its no fun getting them out if they can't pull them selves out with the bucket.

Billy

Ain't that the truth! If you get your excavator stuck, what else could possibly go in and get it out? Several chinook helicopters with some really big slings? :dizzy:

Forty 8-horse teams of Budweiser Clydesdales, each horse equipped with extra large swamp shoes? :clap: Wouldn't that break the budget!

My suggestion is to check with the Dept Of Environmemtal Services (DES) and ask is you need permits first before mucking up a pond or waterbody. You probably do, so its better to check first, even if you don't want to.

There are too many sets of eyes out there watching us and the "cowboy" days of doing work adjacent to a waterbody are gone. We are paying for our elders mistakes big time now.

Back