Started Reading Shigo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsbeats

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I picked up a 2 years course worth of books and started diving into them. I started with A New Tree Biology by Shigo. I am pretty impressed by him though I find his style of writing a little hard to follow at times, but that is probably just me and I'll get used to his methods.

The science is starting to get into my blood I'm afraid. I like it though, gives the mind something to do when all the cutting gets a bit repetitive.

Kool nice one Shigo is my tree guru. In 83 I was just a grunt know nuthin cutter. I got a copy of a Shigo color picture booklet tree anatomy and the wood decay process, I was hooked.
His writing style while odd, draws your mind to think aloud, challenge conventions, not just accept and forever learn and grow.

I've been reading "Modern Arboriculture" and have to admit it took me some time to get use to his style too. I really enjoy it though, it gives me a good basis to follow. I was up in a huge Pin oak yesterday doing some pruning and found that every thought, every cut was made with him in mind. It is funny how he gets into your head, made me feel privledged to be the one pruning this old tree.

I picked up a 2 years course worth of books and started diving into them. I started with A New Tree Biology by Shigo. I am pretty impressed by him though I find his style of writing a little hard to follow at times, but that is probably just me and I'll get used to his methods.

The science is starting to get into my blood I'm afraid. I like it though, gives the mind something to do when all the cutting gets a bit repetitive.

Cool beans, I have a bunch of materiel to read, just damn! when I get home, I'm so freaking tired that picking up a book doesn't even cross my mind, then, when I do think about it, I feel guilty!
Want to get Shigos stuff as well

Yes, he does get into your head and gives you a positive angle to look at how and why you do what you to/for trees. I find him to be very practical in how he speaks of helping the people that work with trees.

He often speaks about "touching trees" which I can relate to because it has long been what draws me to them. Getting up there and being "in" the tree itself working and observing.

I always do the best with what I have and this resource (Shigo) is like having a goldmine of knowledge to draw from.

A great tree master. I like the way he explains things...practical and simple way......the only problem (and that is quite a shame ) is that we don't have any of his books translated in italian ( maybe only a little part of Modern Arboriculture)...and reading a book in english in evening needs a little bit of concentration...and after a good day of work just a few pages (sometimes few words) ... :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:...it's the book that is reading my face :msp_tongue:

Latest posts

Back