starting method

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiseltooth

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
dudes, i think its time to talk about how ye all start em up. me, i sometimes do the foot in handle if i flooded it, but i find the hold it againts yer legs and few sharp rapid pulls and the saw is going grand. no drop starts for me. is a crap method i think.

dudes, i think its time to talk about how ye all start em up. me, i sometimes do the foot in handle if i flooded it, but i find the hold it againts yer legs and few sharp rapid pulls and the saw is going grand. no drop starts for me. is a crap method i think.

You mean between your legs, like right by your jewels? How utterly stupid, drop the biatch, done it for years, its you can't do it, go sit in the truck (lorry.

HAHAHAHAHA! Now this is a funny thread... I don't care who ya are!

Bring your mamby pamby nancy boy startin' procedure over here.:help:

Drop 'em... no biggee... oh and BTW how in the hell do you flood a saw?:notrolls2:

Gary

Last edited:
My back wont allow me to use the Foot in the handle method...I drop start all my saws.

If I dont want to drop start it, I set it on the ground, Set the choke, set the throttle, Hold onto the loop with my left arm, then pull with my right, if its got a bunch oc compression, Ill block it with my left knee.

You gotta do what you gotta, do, but bending over and pulling the rope just aint gonna happen with me.

Fun to watch some of the loggers out here hold the rear handlewith tip on the ground and yank it.

As long as the brake it set, its not a bad method, with a 3 foot bar or something.

Drop starting jsut feels right after you get a feel for it.

I had people telling me it was the way of fools, you're gonna kill yourself. But Ive found it to be very safe and effective.

Pull it to compression, retract rope, Stiffen the left arm on the loop, Pull with the left arm.

OR

Hold the handle with the right arm, and pull with the left, Whichever works.

One time I started a thread here about drop starting, how dangerous it actually was and all. It was kind of amusing.

To put an absolute on no drop starting is aburd. For climbers & bucket operators there is no other option. What are ya going to do, go to the ground for every cut?:dizzy: Big saws with long bars in the bush are almost impossible to start on the ground with the foot in the rear handle method where there's no level ground or 6-7' sq ft of cleared area to work in. Put the bottom of the bar on a log and yank away. The federal wildfire saw course even teaches this method. Though this method is harder on the recoil mechanism 'cuz you're pulling from the rear instead of the designed vertical movement.

I've never liked the rear handle sandwiched between the knees thing, too uncomfortable and if the saw sticks on the compression stroke guess where the bar tip wants to go? On the ground is fine if realtively flat, firm ground with nothing to interfere with the tip(brush). 99% of the time I drop start the sucka 'cuz that's what I'm comfortable with.:chainsaw:

You mean between your legs, like right by your jewels? How utterly stupid, drop the biatch, done it for years, its you can't do it, go sit in the truck (lorry.

Every time this subject comes up, someone is sure to post that canard. For a clue: The saw does not go "between the legs" and nowhere near the jewels. The handle goes behind the right knee.

I have known many people who have done something the same way forever until it bites them in the a$$. Driving without a seatbelt springs to mind.

Harry K

Every time this subject comes up, someone is sure to post that canard. For a clue: The saw does not go "between the legs" and nowhere near the jewels. The handle goes behind the right knee.

I have known many people who have done something the same way forever until it bites them in the a$$. Driving without a seatbelt springs to mind.

Harry K

I've seen it done, shown to me at utility school, the instructor must have been doing it wrong. Still, its lame method, but seatbelts are good, I wear mine always.

I typically begin to start my saw by balancing it on my head. Then, after singing a verse or two from my favorite hymn book, I snap my head back sharply. As the saw drops, I'm doing two things: scratching my buttocks and violently jerking my head forward just as the saw passes my lips. At the end of the violent head-jerk, I grab the pull cord by my teeth and once again, snap my head back. My buttocks is doing quite nicely by this time, mind you. When it fires, I repeat the process, except this time, when it starts, I allow the running saw to drop onto my toe, at which point, I pull a Pele (you, know, the soccer player) and punt the saw upward into my hands, ready to cut. It sounds somewhat complicated, but it's really not that hard after practicing it a few times.

I start a LOT of unknown saws every day.. Unless they are an 064 or above - between the legs. Safe and controlled. Handle is locked above the the knee, left hand is on handle, right is pulling... no Mr. Stihl policeman - I don't put the damn brake on.

064 -ALWAYS on the ground, and with a glove on. POS always try to bite me. Unknown 066 2100 3120 088 etc.. - ground...

Once I get to know a saw (like my own) - drop start all of them after a couple of experimental slow pulls to make sure it's free - all except my 088 which really does need to be glued to the ground..

Back