starting method

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was in Small engine school, we started a Wright Saw, Had reciprocating blades for cutting logs for log cabins or something...

Starting method was:

One person pusing down on the loop handle.

One person holding the trigger, and the kill switch was set to kill at idle.

One person pulling the rope with both arms.

Now, these were big guys..none under 200 lbs, muscular dudes, and it took all they had to crank that thing. We'd get in 5 pulls, then have to rotate the "puller" to someone else.

It finally cranked and ran great, what a machine. Not a saw you could EVER drop start, not even if you wanted to. All metal construction.

---

Anyone got pics of the "leg method" being used, Im having trouble imagining this. Seems like if the recoil bound up, or it stuck...it would fly up into man land, and wreak havoc.

You can drop start an 020T sized no problem.Try this with a long bar 088 or Mac 125 sometime.Not a good plan at all.I had a rather high compressioned sp 81 Mac walk right up the starter rope at me once ,yikes.

As long as the brake it set, its not a bad method, with a 3 foot bar or something.

Drop starting jsut feels right after you get a feel for it.
Hold the handle with the right arm, and pull with the left, Whichever works.

That is all true - I have to pull with the left, as my right hand is pretty bad from Arthritis.

I like resting the tip of the bar on a log, or something else that is not abrasive or too hard, when starting the 372 with a 24" bar on it.

...and i have started to put the brake on even when drop-starting (allmost allways), even though i never hurt myself when not using it either......:D :D

I typically begin to start my saw by balancing it on my head. Then, after singing a verse or two from my favorite hymn book, I snap my head back sharply. As the saw drops, I'm doing two things: scratching my buttocks and violently jerking my head forward just as the saw passes my lips. At the end of the violent head-jerk, I grab the pull cord by my teeth and once again, snap my head back. My buttocks is doing quite nicely by this time, mind you. When it fires, I repeat the process, except this time, when it starts, I allow the running saw to drop onto my toe, at which point, I pull a Pele (you, know, the soccer player) and punt the saw upward into my hands, ready to cut. It sounds somewhat complicated, but it's really not that hard after practicing it a few times.

Now that IS funny!

Laugh - I nearly tried it!

Try drop starting a Mac kart saw. I used to grab the rear handle w/ my right hand, starter with left, and, standing off the ground a ways drop start the saw. These days, I have to brace myself but I do the foot in the rear handle and wearing a glove. Last time I started it, my friend held the saw down and I cranked it. Darned ignition kicks HARD. No choke either, so it has to be primed. Once you get it started, though, it doesn't want to quit.

Like Andy said, I'll drop start all the smaller saws. Big ones, like the 088, SP125, 090, Homey 2100, 076s, etc., stay on the ground. I have found myself absentmindedly drop starting them from time to time. Aside from the kart saw, the hardest I have to start is a Mac SP80. Somebody ruined the threads for the decomp. Nothing like drop starting that one and having it come back at you like a boomerang. Cuts like crazy though ever since I ditched the non-adjustable carb.

Chris B.

LMAO that is a good un......original thread twas only a wind up anyway..some took it very seriusly tho....

'tis the case usually my friend...:)

Try drop starting a Mac kart saw. I used to grab the rear handle w/ my right hand, starter with left, and, standing off the ground a ways drop start the saw. These days, I have to brace myself but I do the foot in the rear handle and wearing a glove. Last time I started it, my friend held the saw down and I cranked it. Darned ignition kicks HARD. No choke either, so it has to be primed. Once you get it started, though, it doesn't want to quit.

Like Andy said, I'll drop start all the smaller saws. Big ones, like the 088, SP125, 090, Homey 2100, 076s, etc., stay on the ground. I have found myself absentmindedly drop starting them from time to time. Aside from the kart saw, the hardest I have to start is a Mac SP80. Somebody ruined the threads for the decomp. Nothing like drop starting that one and having it come back at you like a boomerang. Cuts like crazy though ever since I ditched the non-adjustable carb.

Chris B.

LMAO... try drop starting a Buick V-8 with a bar and chain on it!:rock:

Drop srtarted every saw I ever owned or ran. The 076 Stihl and 3120 I would start with the bar restin on a log... bars were 4 footers.

Gary

I drop start, Nutcracker start, and foot-in-handle start. Whatever I feel like at the time. As long as the saw fires up and I'm cutting, I'm happy...

Aside from the kart saw, the hardest I have to start is a Mac SP80. Somebody ruined the threads for the decomp. Nothing like drop starting that one and having it come back at you like a boomerang. Cuts like crazy though ever since I ditched the non-adjustable carb.

Chris B.
I'll second that one,once again .Dandy series of saws but not the best starting on a cold start.They can come back harder than a 125 and that's saying something .

Latest posts

Back