Starting My Own Tree Service: Please Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Forrest Duran-
I'll be looking out for your exceptional business to take over the market that I have worked for 20 years. When you find that chipper truck, chipper, wood truck, insurance and business location for $8K, let me know and I'll come over and give you a few leads. I just want to find your secret dumping spot!!:blob2:

SpikedSupra

SpikedSupra

ArboristSite Operative
Alright. Many of the things that are being said about this post are getting a bit out of hand. I am not trying to attack anyone here. Nor should I feel like I am being attacked by 20 angry tree men. This is not a completely legit op. I just want to make a few extra bucks while in college. I am not trying to make a fortune from this business. I dont need all of the machinery that is being questioned here. It seems that everyone believes that I think I am going to go corporate overnight with this project. Think of me as the guy you see out mowing lawns on the weekends for extra cash. I dont plan on doing jobs that require the ridiculous amounts of heavy machinery required. I'm only going to do the small jobs that I am highly capable of. I have climbing experience and I find it to be very easy. I'm a strong athletic guy and I have an excellent mentor who truly believes I will do well with this because he knows me much better than anyone here does. If you dont have any worthy advice to offer me in this thread then dont bother responding. I am not trying to be a prick but I dont want a bunch of sarcastic remarks because they are nnot helping me. I am not trying to take any share of the tree service market and if I were to it would be extremely minimal. Thank you again for those who have offered nothing but your help and guidance in assitsting me in this. Thank You.

treeclimber165

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Originally posted by SpikedSupra
.........This is not a completely legit op. ......... Think of me as the guy you see out mowing lawns on the weekends for extra cash. ............ I'm only going to do the small jobs that I am highly capable of. .............. If you dont have any worthy advice to offer me in this thread then dont bother responding. ............

Well, if you already have all the answers, why'd ya ask? :confused:
I'll look for ya when I'm driving past the hospitals....

Thanks for the laughs! :D :rolleyes:

Newfie

Newfie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Forrest,

You seem to take legitimate criticism of your proposal as being unhelpful.Your analogy about the guy mowing lawns just doesn't cut it. What's the worst you could do with a lawnmower versus a chainsaw and a tree? You don't need to chip your brush and haul it away? Even as rentals you are looking at some important money. Do you know how much professional saws cost? You will need more than one for sure, to do different kinds of jobs.

I worked for a general contractor as a laborer/framer for two summers while in college. Would you find it reasonable that I now go out and do small additions and carpentry jobs and pass myself off as a professional. I certainly wouldn't.

Your quote: "Being told that something cannot be done is only a catalyst for an individual's inspiration"

Those are nice words but they still don't mean you have a viable proposal. Let's say I've been taking flying lessons for two weeks and will stop at the end of the summer when I go back to college. When I get back to where I go to school I want to start a small charter airline.:D I think I can fly if I flap my arms hard enough, what do you think?

You asked professionals for help. They have told you to get insured, get real capital, tools and equipment, but most of all they told you to get experience and get realistic about your plan. Even the SBA would laugh you out of their office with what you think you can do. Maybe your mentor will tell you what you want to hear.

Treeman14

Treeman14

Addicted to ArboristSite
Forrest, go easy on us. Sometimes we forget where we came from. I started my business with a six year old pick-up, 2 chainsaws(A Homelite Super 2 and a 330), a "borrowed saddle", a couple of ropes, handsaw, pole saw, old spurs from my dad, a rake, and a 24' fiberglass extension ladder.
First, get your occupational license, its only about $20.
Next, get insurance; liability for the damage you WILL do, and health insurance for injuries.
Then, print up a bunch of business cards and give some to everyone you meet.
You've also got to come up with a better business name. I should think a Marketing Major can do better than Cut and Climb.
Then, register your ficticious trade name.
Don't even try to make a profit for the first few years. Put all of your money into growing the business. New equipment, more advertising, better insurance coverage.
Join trade organizations like ISA or NAA and subscribe to trade journals like Arbor Age and Tree Care Industry. Go to workshops and trade shows.

All of a sudden I feel like I'm wasting my time here. If you're not passionate about trees, then yes, it will be just a business venture and it really doesn't matter if you succeed or not. Most of us here would agree that we are in the tree business because we LOVE trees. If you don't feel that way, you might as well try Amway.

Well, what I started out saying was you don't need a huge investment to get started. I think very few of us started with bucket trucks, chippers, and a huge yellow page ad.

Good luck, Forrest. You'll need it.

Newfie

Newfie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Brett,

Good advice for Forrest, but I recall from one of his earlier posts that " I am not looking to make this a career ", so it probably doesn't really apply to his situation. He seems to be more interested in exercising his business prowess.

Nickrosis

Nickrosis

Manned by Boderators
You can start a tree business with $8k. It can be done, good luck, if you have questions, e-mail me. Our company started with a car and a man who had a summer of tree experience from another state. Why should you be any different? I don't know... Maybe it's just the mood of some people here.

I have reservations about the whole thing, but I try to be optimistic. Tree people are in the business for different reasons - the people here have a passion, and they care tremendously about the industry and their own educations - that's why they're here!

People on the street that don't go to trade shows, don't really care about trees, and consider it a job just like a mason or electrician. Take your approach, but please, put some passion into the trees and not just the business! I'm torn myself - after this B.S. in Urban Foresty, I'm wondering if and MBA would be better than an MLA (Landscape Architecture). Maybe a Ph.D in Plant Phys or Path would be better...

Anyways, most tree businesses fail because of the lack of business expertise, not tree expertise. I'm encouraged by your interest in the field and would like to hear from you in a couple months.

Nickrosis

geofore

geofore

Addicted to ArboristSite
new buisness

You will be futher ahead than most people if you try. It is not so bad to have a buisness fail, It is when you give up that it is bad. Ask around and you would be suprised at the number of people that have buisnesses now that had two or three flops before they found their niche and made it work. My first try did not fly but you don't let that stop you. The experience is worth it.

murphy4trees

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Forrest,
You can do this startup on a shoestring... lots of us have. And I would have done it differently had I known then what I know now.
So here are some tidbits of advice.
1. Get good reliable saws and keep 'em sharp.
2. Bill 'em. Keep your prices high... real high.
3. Keep your word, do what you say you're going to do when you said you'd do it... show up for appointments on time, call if you are running late etc..
4. Develop relationships, climbers, other tree services, stump grinding services etc.. Knowing the right people for the right job is half the battle.
5. learn everythting you can from people, books, the web.. look through old threads on this site.. some really good info is available.
6. Fake it 'til you make it (with customers/ not trees)
7. Be careful
God Bless,
Daniel

SpikedSupra

SpikedSupra

ArboristSite Operative
Thank You's

This same message can be found in the thread entitled "From:Forrest To:All"

I want to send a couple of extended thank you's to those who offered nothing but your moral support and tree service expertise. Among those I would like to specifically thank Treeman14, Nickrosis, Geofore, Murphy4Trees, Jumper, and TreeTX for your wonderful advice on the strongest and most reliable brands of saws, answers to my insurance and pricing queries, and their overall optimistic outlook and encouragement in my decision to take on this business venture. you have been more than helpful. I will keep you posted on my progress and may have more questions for you in the near future.

For those who offered nothing but negatory and sarcastic remarks I am sorry that you felt you had to respond in such a condescending manner. I refuse to return such remarks because its not in my moral. Receiving such remarks gives one a real idealistic knowledge of the individual's character. I have nothing to prove to anyone but myself but it may feel good to come back to this board in a few months with good news on my businesses success. Although some of you have felt that you should discourage my efforts I truly hope from one business man to another that you wish me good fortune in my endeavor. I wish nothing but the best for all individuals on this prestigious board.

I leave you with now with two more quotes from my unfinished book:

5. "One who can sell a material object or service is a good salesman but one who can sell themselves can sell anything."

10. "Nobody speaks apprehensively to a person of lower intelligence so keeping one's cunning and wit concealed can be a good way to know another's true intentions."

John Paul Sanborn

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
It is just that we all have seen so many people with limited knowledge of the practical side of the buisness think anyone can make a go at it.

It takes a while to get good climbing skills and a knowledge of not just a proper pruning cut, but how to work different species.

A number of your comments pont to your lack of practical knowledge and skill. We are not just concerned for your phisical and finacial safety, but your futur clients and the trees you will try to work in.

If it were about making money, most of us would be doing something else.

Maybe I don't have much buisness acumen, but I can sell my skills. I barely spell my own name correctly, but I'm a competamt climber and am well grounded in plant science.

I would prefer you learn more about the trees before you mess with them.

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
Gump,
One reason you might be getting some feelings of animosity from the guys, particularly those from Fl, is that one major source of business competition is fly-by-nites.
These guys giving you $hit, have put in the time. They became certified arborists. Hired good help, supplied them with workman's comp insurance, and pay them a salarey that they can live on. They offer a comprehensive and fully insured service.
Then along comes a snot nosed, punk, teenager, with an $89 homelite saw and his mommy's trailer and out bids him by $800 on a $900 job.
Not that you, or other fly-by-nite operations will put a legitamate bussiness out of business, you will just take a bite out of the profits, and keep the wage paid to his employee's just a bit lower. The homeowner does not know the two bids on the job discribed above are for two completely different services, yet they are sold as the same.
That being said, I'm sure lot's of tree guys have done "side jobs" or have started their business without workman's comp insurance only to get some later on, after they have assets to lose.
I would encourage you to keep working at your arborist job, buy some equipment, sell some "side jobs", and use your current employer's insurance and equipment. Perhaps, you could get a commission on the jobs you bring, rather than risking uninsured work. Once you can incorporate and afford worker's comp, then go on your own.

Kevin

Kevin

Addicted to ArboristSite
Safety and certification are a priority.
If you don`t know what saw to buy chances are you don`t have much experience or training in using one on the ground let alone in a tree.
Have at it, just don`t hurt anyone else in the process.

SpikedSupra

SpikedSupra

ArboristSite Operative
I am learning hear and thats good

The more you guys say, the more I am learning. I am sorry to exclude you, Down to Earth, from my thank you list. I would like to thank all of you for your genorosity in helping me in this new venture. I am glad to find this site and I believe that deep down everyone here has good intentions regardless of the harshness or encouragment that you have left in respose to my original post. No matter what is said or done on this site I am still aiming to launch this small business sometime in the month of August. As far as concerns for the trees that I will be working with.....I have an excellent mentor and he teaches more abou the proper pruning of trees every day. I am a very fast learner and I have the techniques. Thanks again and wish me luck!

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hmmmmmm.. O Golf Clap to Mike.
Forest? You made an interesting remark about Mowing lawns. For 8000.00 You might half decently outfit a lawn service.
and why not? thats how i started Mowing lawns just now i spend 1 day a week mowing and 4-5 Working on trees. When you go to talk to a insurance agent about liabilty insurance Im in Doubt without atleast 5 Yrs Exp you will get anymore than insurance on your vehicle. O One more thing. On the average we spend 1 hr cutting for 2 hrs Chipping moving wood ect So Without a chipper i'll say you will probably spend 1 hr cutting and 7 Hrs hauling? just a thought. :blob2:

TREETX

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
I started w/out a chipper. Going that way, you will just work to pay bills, to work to pay more bills, but you will never make money. You may live but you will not get a head. I never made any money until I ponied up for the chipper. How did I ever get by without one? If your are trying to do anything of size w/out a chipper, you are better off driving over to your customer's house, giving them $50 and then slamming your nuts in the truck door. It will produce the same effect in the end.

Get a loan and get the right equip or you will work yourself to death. Smarter, not harder.