Starting new tree business what are the most common rigging equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bucketboy

Reaction score
I have a good idea of what I will need for rigging but I would like to know what professionals use all the time. Im thinking most of everything I will need should be like 150 feet long 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8 rope and some different size blocks and a port-a-wrap and a fiddle block. I have slings and whoopie slings and throw lines and such. Most work will be done out of a bucket truck. Just looking for some insight from others and what others do for rigging practices and size ropes that are most common of use and length.

Attend this:

http://tcia.org/events/tci-expo

You need to be very careful rigging out of a bucket and with all rigging for that matter. The materials you have on your 'want' list are stronger than the trees you'll be rigging and failure of the tree itself is a huge danger. Imagine the tree failing around that little bucket in the sky as it is a very real possibility.

There's no good reason to buy 3/4" and 7/8" lines until you are very familiar with rigging and tree structure, etc. Plus you will not get much use out of it. I suggest 1/2" stablebraid or similar and 9/16 or 5/8 dynamic rope. Get 200' lengths. Also if you dont have a junk old climbline get yourself 200' of 12 or 16 strand for natural crotches. Take stuff small at first, especially since you have a bucket.

You should also seriously look at the following items, as most of your rigging will be (and should be) with 1/2" rigging equipment.

ISC 1/2" Mini Block

TreeStuff AFB

Rig N' Wrench

OmniBlock 2.6

ArborMaster BRW

Yale XTC

Both of the 16-strand climbing lines listed work very well for light/medium rigging in the Rig N' Wrench and AFB devices. The BRW has nylon core, the XTC is all polyester. I use both of them, the ArborMaster when I need better shock loading, the XTC when I need better control.

Forestry Pro

I also use this 12-strand for light rigging and tag lines. Very affordable. I have several 200' hanks of it with sewn eyes in both ends. Use with steel carabiners.

I can't say enough good things about the OmniBlock 2.6 as a main 1/2" rigging block. I have three of the OmniBlock 2.0 pulleys that I use for redirects. The swivel on them helps to keep the rigging line straight and everything lined up. Also helps minimize rope wear from it rubbing on the sideplates.

OmniBlock26-03.JPG

I splice the OmniBlock pulleys onto TenexTEC ultraslings. Faster and easier to set than anything else I have used.

Just some ideas... lots of new stuff out there. And, I agree with others about the heavy stuff... the largest rope I use with any regularity is 5/8" because rigging huge pieces doesn't save you any time at all, especially when the tree fails or it hits something it shouldn't be hitting.

7/8" rope? Good grief.
There's no good reason to buy 3/4" and 7/8" lines...

Agree.
5/8" is the largest skeleton in my rope closet.

"especially when the tree fails or it hits something it shouldn't be hitting.".....or kills somebody whose rope budget was greater than his knowledge and experience.

I think it will depend on what you are rigging (tree species and size) and how you are planning to rig.

I work out of a bucket and all I have is 1/2 and 5/8 rope (we have some pool 3/4 if required), a 4" block, 2" block, couple of slings, couple of steel biners and a portawrap. We seldom need to get exotic.

Back