Starting Tips for Skil 1645

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkilsawGuy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I just finished cleaning, painting and assembling a Skilsaw 1645 Type2 chainsaw. Painted deep gray instead of factory cream btw.
The fuel tank is spotless, just have to add the right mix now. New Carb kit put in. This model has the primer that is on the right side.
While working on this rig I asked myself, how does one go about choking this and other Skilsaws of this era?
If one of you fine folks could lend some help or let me know the starting procedure for this saw. Might just save me some right arm fatigue.
I know with my Skilsaw 1610 it says to pull out the choke and hold the throttle down till it coughs once or twice,
then push the choke in half way and repeat till it fires.
I've been looking for a owners manual or PDF file to gain some help but can't seem to locate any information on firing this baby up.
Any advise would be appreciated. :bowdown:

Take Care, Ray

Skil 1645 /PM340

This saw is a re badged PM 340, They are not fitted with a choke mech The primer should spray fuel into the carb intake when the primer button is pressed. The 2 causes of it not operating, are filter in the tank blocked, Duckbill valve rotted away. the valve is reached by removing the nipple on the primer where the fuel pipe pushes on. PM valves are NLA but you can use a HOMELITE one. I find with my 340 4/5 shots on the primer & saw will run for a short time or is OK 2 more shots usually does the trick [ The fuel sprays from a small hole in the casing where the primer bolts on, can be seen with the air filter removed] Hope this is of some help. Al

You need to post some pictures if you can, would like to see them.
I have a model 1644 that mike acres site states is the same but powerhead only.
Just checked, mine has a choke.
I wonder if there are any other differences.
Spent yesterday blocking up some red oak with it and a few other oldies.

I have a model 1644 that mike acres site states is the same but powerhead only.
Just checked, mine has a choke.
I wonder if there are any other differences.
Spent yesterday blocking up some red oak with it and a few other oldies.

I have a Skil 1644 type3 as well as a PM340 neither saw is fitted with a choke both have fuel primers as starting aids Maybe it depends on the year of manufacture?

Mine is a type 3 also.
Could be someone swapped covers and mine isn't even a 1644.

I'll get some pictures today.

This saw is a re badged PM 340, They are not fitted with a choke mech The primer should spray fuel into the carb intake when the primer button is pressed. The 2 causes of it not operating, are filter in the tank blocked, Duckbill valve rotted away. the valve is reached by removing the nipple on the primer where the fuel pipe pushes on. PM valves are NLA but you can use a HOMELITE one. I find with my 340 4/5 shots on the primer & saw will run for a short time or is OK 2 more shots usually does the trick [ The fuel sprays from a small hole in the casing where the primer bolts on, can be seen with the air filter removed] Hope this is of some help. Al

Thanks a Ton for the info Al, Good of you to take the time to assist.
I'll pour some fresh fuel/mix in the old girl and try your advise.
Should go, not much to go wrong with these vintage saws. ;)

Firstly a huge warning/disclaimer do not I repeat do not bring your chainsaw in the
house to take pictures. The consequences are to great ifin the Mrs./ Warden happens to step in. :blob2:

Here you go Scooterbum, For some reason I couldn't really handle that Creamy color.
Had to switch it up to somthing a little more Paul Bunyan.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f8/Mar123Vin/Skilsaw013.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f8/Mar123Vin/Skilsaw012.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f8/Mar123Vin/Skilsaw011.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f8/Mar123Vin/Skilsaw004.jpg

Looks to be a tidy saw, good job. I notice in photo 1 the wrap handle appears to have a bolt missing under the recoil starter. Take care as I have had the wrap handle bend/twist forward on my Pm340 when the bolt came loose & fell out whilst cutting & I didn`t notice, Gave me a bit of a fright. From then on a dab of Locktite on the wrap handle bolts. With no AV they tend to vibrate about a bit. Not being picky, [just been there done that] When its up & running I think you will be pleased with the performance. Some of these old u`ns suprise some folk with how much go they have

Good eye Al, your right any missing bolt on the wrap handle for sure is a safety issue.
Thanks for the heads up. I will grab a nice shiny stainless bolt from the shop tomorrow and plug that hole.
Just a dab of blue lock tight should keep it in place.

Not sure if you've ever run a Homelite 350P or not, 57cc of fun. This Skil is like 69 cc or so.
I'm kind of expecting this one to surpass the Homie, we'll see. Haven't got a Compression tester yet to check the output.

Talked to the old boy that gave me this saw because his Mrs. told him to tidy up the garage,
he said it ran really good then one day she just quit. when I had it apart, noticed that the kill switch wire
was frayed from the terminal. So I'm optimistic it'll run with 10 tugs or so.

Haven't tried to start it yet, waiting for the paint to cure before I
start dripping fuel on it. Learned that from leeha in his latest thread. ;)

Take Care

I think these are sexy looking, plus they're 69 cc. British Columbians evidentally have good style sense.

John H.

Nice Saw!!!

I like the deep gray. Did you mask off the decal on the top before painting, or did you find a way to get it off without wrecking it?

I haven't seen the primer-version before. I've seen two different styles of choke though. Most I've seen have a bent piece of wire that is pulled out for choke (see post #5 of csw's thread below for a pic). The one I have has a lever that is flipped down for choke, up for run.

Chainsawwhisperer has a Skil1716/PM340 he went full resto on: http://new.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=95127

I did more of a half-*ssed resto on a Skil1629/MP340:
http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=136292

Shoulda painted 'er, but was more after just learning something new than making it pretty.

Post a video of a few cuts if you can.

I think these are sexy looking, plus they're 69 cc. British Columbians evidentally have good style sense.

John H.
Thanks John, I must agree with your comment, these are sexy saws ;)

I like the deep gray. Did you mask off the decal on the top before painting, or did you find a way to get it off without wrecking it?
Post a video of a few cuts if you can.
Hey stderr, Yeah those decals are practically impossible to remove so I just masked it off with a bit of 3M scotch tape.
Kind of a hack restoration but I plan on cutting with it so doing a full blown detail was not in the cards.
Plus after seeing leeha's 3100G mighty thread I have a ways to go reach the next level. :D
A video should be possible, I'll have to try and get it running firstly. :cheers:
Thanks for those links I'll have to give em a look see tomorrow. ;)
Take Care, Ray

Back