Steelcore around powerlines, steelcore safer than rope.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is something i always laugh at every time i hear it. If you are getting shocked off a steelcore, you are too close to the lines. Besides, look at all the other conductive material we carry up the trees. When i started row, the big thing was not wearing steel toes. Haven't heard that one in alot years.

This is something i always laugh at every time i hear it. If you are getting shocked off a steelcore, you are too close to the lines. Besides, look at all the other conductive material we carry up the trees. When i started row, the big thing was not wearing steel toes. Haven't heard that one in alot years.

A lot of that is if you get in one they don't want to
amputate your toes to get your boots off if you survived.
I knew a guy we called sparky got hit by 69kv direct should
be dead holes silver dollar size in his feet he said the worst
that he remembered was them extracting the melted coins he
had in his pockets out of his thigh!Jewelry especially eye
rings :rolleyes: I have always asked employees to remove
and yes part discrimination and part safety.

Last edited:
A lot of that is if you get in one they don't want to
amputate your toes to get your boots off if you survived.
I knew a guy we called sparky got hit by 69kv direct should
be dead holes silver dollar size in his feet he said the worst
that he remembered was them extracting the melted coins he
had in his pockets out of his thigh!Jewelry especially eye
rings :rolleyes: I have always asked employees to remove
and yes part discrimination and part safety.

What about the zipper? :dizzy:

Steelcore fliplines are a conductor of electricity. I have never personally seen it but I have heard of powerlines arcing. I also climb with a steelcore flipline but if I am close to powerlines I will use a rope flipline. I am extra careful to position my rope flipline so I will not cut it. Also, this is another reason why a climber should be tied in two times while operating a chainsaw in the tree. treedog72

Steelcore fliplines are a conductor of electricity. I have never personally seen it but I have heard of powerlines arcing. I also climb with a steelcore flipline but if I am close to powerlines I will use a rope flipline. I am extra careful to position my rope flipline so I will not cut it. Also, this is another reason why a climber should be tied in two times while operating a chainsaw in the tree. treedog72

Powerlines do arc, its is called flashover. It usually is restricted to transmission lines (very high voltage). If a powerline flashover occurs, you are way, way to close to it, violating your limits of approach to the conductors in an extreme manner. Also, you are most likely dead, steelcore or not.

Powerlines do arc, its is called flashover. It usually is restricted to transmission lines (very high voltage). If a powerline flashover occurs, you are way, way to close to it, violating your limits of approach to the conductors in an extreme manner. Also, you are most likely dead, steelcore or not.

+1
My point about minumum safe distance earlier. If it arcs through you outside the safe distance it is a fluke not caused by one more piece of low resistance equipment.
If you drop a dirty, grimy, sweat and salt impreagnated rope lanyard too close to a transmission line, you are goin to be a statistic just as well as if it was a steel core.
If you are a line clearane trimmer, KEEP ALL OF YOUR EQUIPMENT AT A SAFE WORKING DISTANCE. In order to do this you have to know what those distances are and be able to recognize mitigating circamstaces like fog, dew, and wind.

+1
My point about minumum safe distance earlier. If it arcs through you outside the safe distance it is a fluke not caused by one more piece of low resistance equipment.
If you drop a dirty, grimy, sweat and salt impreagnated rope lanyard too close to a transmission line, you are goin to be a statistic just as well as if it was a steel core.
If you are a line clearane trimmer, KEEP ALL OF YOUR EQUIPMENT AT A SAFE WORKING DISTANCE. In order to do this you have to know what those distances are and be able to recognize mitigating circamstaces like fog, dew, and wind.

And that my friends sums it all up. To all LCTT's take that advise and use it wisely. Safety first.:cheers:

Once in a while we need a " safe-up". Our power co. sends the ORANGE in to clear the power lines for us ( make it clearence safe ). The climb crew guy wears hip boots all year round . Hot in the summer & cold in the winter. We became friends & he told me he had been lit up to many times to be without them. He said they tease him about it , but after 18 yrs. , who cares. He's departed now ( due to natural causes ) not electrocution & I think about his outlook every time the ORANGE helps us out. With respect & admiration.

Once in a while we need a " safe-up". Our power co. sends the ORANGE in to clear the power lines for us ( make it clearence safe ). The climb crew guy wears hip boots all year round . Hot in the summer & cold in the winter. We became friends & he told me he had been lit up to many times to be without them. He said they tease him about it , but after 18 yrs. , who cares. He's departed now ( due to natural causes ) not electrocution & I think about his outlook every time the ORANGE helps us out. With respect & admiration.

With all due respect for this fellow on my own part I have to very seriously question "lit up to many times". This saying must mean he experienced electrical contact from the lines, directly or indirectly. This can only be because he violated safe limits of appraoch to the line, personally or with equipment. There is no excuse for this, these limits are never to be violated. There is no need to wear hip boots if you follow the regulations.

Really guys, if the lines are that close and you are qualified to do the work, refuse to do it untill the line has been de-energized and grounded. Thats it, bottom line.

Are you recommending wearing hip boots (waiders, hooker boots?) to keep you safe while violating safe limits?

Latest posts

Back