Steiner logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
img_00001399-jpg.375856

Pretty good illustration of one of the reasons to hot foot diagonally to the side instead of to the rear. Glad you didn't get hurt. Ron

I prefer to just step back 10 or 12 feet and watch to make sure it's going as planned. Too many things can happen as you're running to what you think is a safe spot. I make sure to have a couple of safe routes away but stay there to look up to make sure there are no airborne surprises coming my way. I did work longer than I should have and made a couple of stupid mistakes when I was tired and trying to hurry to get lots done. From now on I'm going to have enough logs down and cut to length to make a load so I can spend the last hour or 2 just loading instead of physical work and getting too tired and making mistakes.

I prefer to just step back 10 or 12 feet and watch to make sure it's going as planned. Too many things can happen as you're running to what you think is a safe spot. I make sure to have a couple of safe routes away but stay there to look up to make sure there are no airborne surprises coming my way. I did work longer than I should have and made a couple of stupid mistakes when I was tired and trying to hurry to get lots done. From now on I'm going to have enough logs down and cut to length to make a load so I can spend the last hour or 2 just loading instead of physical work and getting too tired and making mistakes.

Over thirty years ago, the operator's manual for my then new McCulloch said "Do not operate saw when tired." Shoot, that saw would wear me out just starting it. Nonetheless it is true that fatigue interferes with clear thinking.

Thanks for posting your pictures and comments about looking up. I wonder just how much further that missile would have traveled if it hadn't plowed into that old stump. Do you think a thicker hinge and/or a higher back cut would have kept it from launching?

Ron

Ron, I was glad it stopped when it did. Cut another dozen down today but had to leave them in the bush. I was doing some preventative maintenance on my log trailer and broke 3 wheel studs off. I load it pretty heavy and thought maybe I should take the old wheel studs off and put some anti seize on them at the shop instead of halfway home in the dark. 5 studs on 1 wheel were a little loose and were wrecking the rim. 3 broke off and now I'm trying to get them out with easi-outs. Now there is a bullsheet name if I ever heard one. Ain't nothing easi and nothing is out either.

Cantoo, if the broken studs are at surface level or stick out, you can position a nut over it & fill it in with weld turning it into a bolt. The heating of the stud from welding on it will help to loosen it as well.

50/50 mix of ATF & acetone is the best penetrating oil I have found.

I went to heat it and of course out of oxygen as usual when I need it. They are broke off pretty much flush, I'm going to try heat at work tomorrow or Tuesday. I usually leave welding until the end. It might have been an excuse to stop working too as my legs and back are tired of going to the bush all the time. I really should take a break and do other stuff that needs to be done but cutting firewood is nice "mindless" work. Maybe after I get another 200 ash logs piled up I can do something else.

I am with you. I don't have much experience with easi-outs, but the little I do have has been far from easy. Heat followed by cold water or ice is what I am told is the trick for breaking loose wheel studs and lugs - never tried it. Ron

Got started on my 36" splitter. Shoulda put on some gloves 1st. Can't decide if I want to make the wedge removable or not. I want a 4 way and thought I would just make wings that drop over the vertical welded in wedge. Now thinking maybe it would be pretty easy to just make 2 separate drop in wedges, one splits in half and the other would be a 4 way one.
IMG_20150731_111002.jpg IMG_20150731_200202.jpg

Ouch!
Not to be a party pooper, but that lil ole cylinder is gonna struggle with a 1 way let alone a 4 way, unless that is just for mock up purposes. Unless you just splittin poplar

I went to heat it and of course out of oxygen as usual when I need it. They are broke off pretty much flush, I'm going to try heat at work tomorrow or Tuesday. I usually leave welding until the end. It might have been an excuse to stop working too as my legs and back are tired of going to the bush all the time. I really should take a break and do other stuff that needs to be done but cutting firewood is nice "mindless" work. Maybe after I get another 200 ash logs piled up I can do something else.
when they are broke flush, get some flat washers that fit the bolt.. if have mig,great. but arc works,, lay washer down on whats left, centered,weld, keeping the most heat on the bolt, while still welding to washer...then put another washer on top,,and weld it to the other one. find vise grips,,and go for it. may have to do more than once...

I always set a little "over size" nut onto the bolt, then weld my way out. Let it cool and use a wrench on the nut...

SR

Brenndatomu, that is a 4"x 36" cylinder. Push plate is 1" x12"x12" material. Wedge is 3/4"x8" x 24" tall hardened steel. Beam is 1/2" top and bottom with 3/8" middle 12' long but will be cut down to about 9' long when done. I'm only splitting ash so I'm sure it will be fine. Will only running a 6 hp, 11 gal 2 stage pump on it right now. I'm too cheap to buy the bigger one until it's on sale or I get one at an auction. I bought a splitter at a sale a few weeks ago and am robbing motor and pump off it for now.

4" cylinder @3000psi is enough to push a 4 way through ash and almost anything else under 20" rounds. That's all my processor has on it and I've never stalled it

that is a 4"x 36" cylinder. Push plate is 1" x12"x12" material.
OH, OK, I guess the size of the other parts is making that cylinder look like a 3 - 3.5" to me. Hopefully it works well for ya.
How's that finger feeling?

Went over to the neighbours last night. He had about 10 trees come down or had the branches blown out, silver maple, poplar, ash and some others. Poplar branch was 26" across, landed on his girlfriends car. They are building a new pig barn and lost 80 sheets of steel off the roof. The place is a mess. Good news is he just wants it gone. We can pull stuff into an open field and cut up what we want and take our time. Yeah he says that now but I bet he's gonna want it done soon. There is also a willow that is 6' or more across, says to cut it down and he'll drag it into the field and burn it if we want. Hydro lines and buildings are all far enough away. Place is a mess anyway so he's not worried about driving on the lawn etc. Has several tractors we can use. This is the son of the guy who's bush I have been getting tops from for a few years. He knows we will do a good job. The last pic is the willow, my van nose is in the pic.
IMG_20150807_083349.jpg IMG_20150807_083410.jpg IMG_20150807_083355.jpg

I stopped in at Princess Auto today and the guy there made me buy a motor and pump combo. 13 hp, electric start with 2 stage pump, complete and ready to go for $388 plus taxes Canadian. That's like $300 US. That was the price of the pump, housing and lovejoy connector so free engine and assembly. They have changed pump suppliers from Haldex to a Korean manufacturer so they are cleaning out the existing stock, I prefer the Haldex anyway. Regular price was $799. Now that I have this mess to clean up though I have no time to get it all built.
IMG_20150807_183103.jpg

We cut up one of the ash trees this afternoon. 3/4s of it filled my buddies dump trailer that holds just over a full cord of splits. Once split I think he will have a bigger pile. We cleaned up some of the willow branches to make things look a little better. Also took a closer look around and it's worse than we thought, branches are broken off all over the place. Maple than he wants cut down.
IMG_20150808_182734.jpg
IMG_20150808_182714.jpg IMG_20150808_182704.jpg IMG_20150808_182642.jpg

We cut up one of the ash trees this afternoon. 3/4s of it filled my buddies dump trailer that holds just over a full cord of splits. Once split I think he will have a bigger pile. We cleaned up some of the willow branches to make things look a little better. Also took a closer look around and it's worse than we thought, branches are broken off all over the place. Maple than he wants cut down.
View attachment 439986
View attachment 439987 View attachment 439988 View attachment 439989
It looks like the Goderich Tornado seen of 2011.
Was all that damage from the first front at around 4P.M. or the second one about 9P.M.?
At one point I figured about 35,000 home without power in the path of the fronts.
I didn't hear of anyone getting hurt.
Except your finger!

Back