sthil 170 or echo 306?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I may be in the market for a new small saw if I can't get the carb on my sthil 017 rebuilt. I was at a dealers the other day that handles both sthil and echo saws and he said the small echo has a 5year warranty, was a better saw and for me was a better deal. what do you say?
I know there are bigger and better built saws but I am 64 years old and need something light for light duty work and I don't think I will wear any of them out but you never know!

Last edited:
Not sure what people's feelings on the 170 are, but I know there are a few guys around here with MS 180s that seem to love them. It might be worth looking into.

It all depends on what feels good in your hands and what your budget is.

I may be in the market for a new small saw if I can't get the carb on my sthil 017 rebuilt. I was at a dealers the other day that handles both sthil and echo saws and he said the small echo has a 5year warranty, was a better saw and for me was a better deal. what do you say?
I know there are bigger and better built saws but I am 64 years old and need something light for light duty work and I don't think I will wear any of them out but you never know!

The Echo CS306 is a 30cc with 14" narrow kerf (3/8 x .043) bar and chain combination. If I recall correctly, the small Stihls also use this same narrow kerf chain.

Having run both Echo CS306 and what appears to be its twin, the CS346, I can tell you the CS346 is noticeably more powerful despite only having 10% more displacement and near identical weight. The CS346 will be a few ounces heavier due to having a 16" 3/8 x .050 bar and chain combination. The powerheads are advertised as identical weight.

I've been abusing :chainsaw: both a CS-346 and its predecessor, CS-3450 cutting whatever gets in my way including oak, poplar, and that :censored: black locust. I'm still amazed at how well these two saws cut hardwood be it green or dry. When the wood is above 10-12", I do go with a bigger saw. The small saws will cut it, but it takes longer.

I find the 3/8 x .050 chain combinations more readily available, and these are the same as used on the newer Echo CS-370 and CS-400 which are roughly 36cc and 40cc, respectively. These newer saws are vertical cylinder vs horizontal if that matters to you, but are 10.1# powerheads vs the 7.5# of 306/346.

When I went to the Stihl dealer looking for a small to moderate sized saw, he kept me away from the 170-250 range despite having quite a number of them on the shelf. The 260 is a pro saw and priced accordingly. I bought a 290.

You might consider the 40cc Makita/Dolmar saws if you're not locked into buying from your current dealer.

Likewise, there is Ebay. A few days ago there was a new-in-box CS-346 for $159 plus shipping, Buy It Now. I seem to recall the 40cc Makitas(Dolmar) on Ebay for $209 or so, new.

I have to agree with PESt on this one my friend has a 180 and it is a nice saw. I don't care for the tool free adjuster, but that's just me.
The echo is probably a nice saw too, but I have used the 180 and it is nice.
Mike

The 180's are very light and the local Stihl dealer told me that a few customers have bought them and used them to cut all of their firewood. One other option you may consider is a Husqvarna 142. I bought one last year at the Husky dealer for $199 just for trimming and clearing brush. I ended up clearing 1/4 mile of trails, with it, then got hit by a tornado and had to re-clear those same trails and also ended up cutting a solid 20 face cords of firewood with it. It was super light and easy to handle, and had plenty of power for what it was. I let 4 other people use it, and all were shocked at how well it cut. One liked it so well he bought it from me when I got a bigger saw. The Husky is right around 40cc's, weighs 10lbs, runs a 16" bar, and had 2.2hp. Just throwing another option out to you that is in the same class saw.

Sorry, got some numbers a little off in my head as I haven't looked at the specs in awhile. In my defense, I have both saws and the pound heavier is well worth it. It's still under 9 lbs., better power, and the air filter is better,imo. (ps401 dolmar)

thanks guys for the replies. it's not decision time yet but thanks for your input.

GO ECHO!!!!!!!

I've run a 170, pretty nice saw for the money, I've also run a 180. If it was my money I'd buy the 180 and be happy for a long time!

I can't figure out why the 180 runs as good as it does...but it runs like a bigger saw and the parts are the most reasonable cost of any of the Stihls....

The 170 parts are OK too,,but the performance just isn't there

Run the Echo and compare it to the Stihl. I bought a 346 for the wife. It's perfect for her, slow, light and no power. If thats what you want for a saw, it's there for you, reed valves and all. Works good for a carving saw, it's nice and slow, hard to overcut.

The Husky 340 I have in comparison is a screaming demon lol. I knocked the catalyst outta the muffler on the 346 last night cause it made the saw run way way to hot. Maybe the new breed Echos can keep up, but I sure wouldn't want to run the 306 or 346 for cutting firewood even. It's a girls saw and should come in pink only. It is light. It starts easy enough. It sucks for tuning, it sucks for the muffler and air filter.

BTW after tuning my bros Stihl 021 up, I know it will walk all over an echo. I couldn't make it catch up to the Husky 340, but as far as light saws go, it was good.

Last edited:
Run the Echo and compare it to the Stihl. I bought a 346 for the wife. It's perfect for her, slow, light and no power. If thats what you want for a saw, it's there for you, reed valves and all. Works good for a carving saw, it's nice and slow, hard to overcut.

The Husky 340 I have in comparison is a screaming demon lol. I knocked the catalyst outta the muffler on the 346 last night cause it made the saw run way way to hot. Maybe the new breed Echos can keep up, but I sure wouldn't want to run the 306 or 346 for cutting firewood even. It's a girls saw and should come in pink only. It is light. It starts easy enough. It sucks for tuning, it sucks for the muffler and air filter.

BTW after tuning my bros Stihl 021 up, I know it will walk all over an echo. I couldn't make it catch up to the Husky 340, but as far as light saws go, it was good.

Bring that Husky 340 over and we'll run it against my CS440 which wieghts the same and we'll see who gets kicked. My 55 Rancher (53cc) is just a tad ahead of my 45cc Echo cutting cookies, not chain speed there the Husky is way ahead. Maybe the Echo is so close in cutting speed is cuz it has torque. Steve

Bring that Husky 340 over and we'll run it against my CS440 which wieghts the same and we'll see who gets kicked. My 55 Rancher (53cc) is just a tad ahead of my 45cc Echo cutting cookies, not chain speed there the Husky is way ahead. Maybe the Echo is so close in cutting speed is cuz it has torque. Steve

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

Latest posts

Back