Sthil 270 Good, Bad or indifferent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodbreaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up a 270 Stihl the other day. Seems to do what I ask of it. Just wondering what the general oppinion of this saw was.

Thanks
Sod breaker

Indifferent - it is too heavy and bulky for the power and cc, and basically a clamshell design, even though the "shell" is part of a partly metal crankcase.

It's fine for what it is. I've never run one that was opened up, but in stock form it seems about as choked up as an Echo. For the guy who cuts from time to time, and who hasn't developed an affinity for better saws, it's a step up over stuff from Sears.

Ive had a 270,280,and 271.These are really good saws for the money. The older 270s and 280s had some really spongy AV mounts.The 280 has since been discontinued.The 271 is a big improvement over bothe the older saws.My personal opinion,I think the 270,271 is a good all around saw .Tho it might not be a pro series saw,it will save you some money and do the job well

I purchased one new a few years ago but did'nt keep it long. My opinion of the saw is that a muffler mod made a huge difference in power, the AV was just way to easy to bury it to the stop with a 18'' bar and I did not care for the handles being so far apart from each other on a 50cc saw. Not a bad saw just giving my thoughts on it. Oh yea...did I mention you really need to open the muffler up on the 270 it makes a huge difference in power?

It is not a bad saw, yes it is a clamshell, the vast majority of saws sold today are, including the best selling model in the world 290/291 and I suspect Huskies best selling models are also clamshell designs. Is it a 361 or 359, no, but for the average user cutting for themselves, 8-12 cord a year, it's all they need. It should last a lifetime with proper maint, set up with a 16 or 18 .325 or a 16" 3/8 it will do all it needs to do. It's better than what's sold in the majority of big box stores. Remember this is an enthusiast site, if it isn't a 700.00 pro saw it isn't worth owning or won't cut a stick of butter.

Ive had a 270,280,and 271.These are really good saws for the money. The older 270s and 280s had some really spongy AV mounts.The 280 has since been discontinued.The 271 is a big improvement over bothe the older saws.My personal opinion,I think the 270,271 is a good all around saw .Tho it might not be a pro series saw,it will save you some money and do the job well

Hardly good for the money, they are overpriced consumer class saws, that are too heavy and bulky - just not the worst ones.

I used to have a 210 that was fun to goof around with but let it go. It was light, but nothing special. I have a buddy who is giving his 270 the boot. He cuts oak to feed his OWB. Says it is just "too much" for his saw.

I have been trying to convince him to let me have at his chain with my files and maybe the muffler with my drill, but he wants to trade it in.

Can't blame him. I can think of better tools for bucking decent size hardwood.

Picked up a 270 Stihl the other day. Seems to do what I ask of it. Just wondering what the general oppinion of this saw was.

Thanks
Sod breaker

Not a bad saw the only issues I've had with the 270/280 saws were
guys horsing on them and popping out the rubber a/v mount in front of the clutch
and guys would rip the intake manifolds buy yanking on the rear handle when they got the bar pinched.

Solution take off the bar spikes, run very sharp chains, and don't yank on the rear handle if you
pinch the bar. Other than than pretty trouble free saws.

I used to have one, it was an alright saw. Nothing great, but got the job done that it was designed to do. There's 2 common issues with these saws that I know of.

1. Intake boot cracks along the top.
2. Coil issues - as in they go bad and run $65.

you can use a ms361 coil on the 270/280's change the poles and trim cylinder fins
if you want stiffer mounts i have a fix ror them

Ive had three 270's in the shop over the summer . All 3 needed coils.

Well, the 270 and 280 were used for assorted experiments, after they failed to be accepted as replacements for the 260, and even the 260 was victim of some experiments in the early 2000s - like the one screw carbs and "intellicarbs".....:msp_rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back