Sthil ms 660 BIG BORE cylinder brand?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edaigle

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wanted some info about the NWP big bore cylinder from you guys who did it for their MS 660. Is a good trustworthy brand or there is better out there and how much should I pay as prices seems different... Any advice would help.
Thank you

Ive had good luck with all mine, I have 4 of them. The first 1 I did was about 3+ years ago and now it seems to have low compression. Nothing a set of caber rings wont solve. All of them run 20" bar and 8 pin sprocket ( sometimes 24 or 28) . Now I have a 576 auto the 372's dont get used as often. My saws get used daily for tree removal and cutting about 50+ cord a year. I do have a ported BB ,duel port mufler , and no head gasket but its only seen about 5 tanks of gas.

Of the BB kits, the 066 is probably the best. It has gone through more revisions than any of the others. I still have some real concerns with it though. First of all, the intake port is tiny. It's not near as wide as the exhaust port. Also, the port timing leaves a LOT to be desired. The last one I degreed was:

Exhaust 96
Transfers 125
Intake 86

The exhaust is higher than it should be, and the transfers are too low. 29° of blowdown is rediculous on a 066.

Of the BB kits, the 066 is probably the best. It has gone through more revisions than any of the others. I still have some real concerns with it though. First of all, the intake port is tiny. It's not near as wide as the exhaust port. Also, the port timing leaves a LOT to be desired. The last one I degreed was:

Exhaust 96
Transfers 125
Intake 86

The exhaust is higher than it should be, and the transfers are too low. 29° of blowdown is rediculous on a 066.
Hi, did your big bore have this much freeport?

Attachments

• Piston gap 2.jpg
    Piston gap 2.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 9
Back