Sticking It to The Man

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbow388

Off The Air BEEEEEEEEP
Reaction score
This year I have decided to start selling some wood. Most of my wood is cut to a stove length of 16 inches since that is what I use.

I sale 3' x 3' stacks of 16 inch wood. All red or white oak.

View attachment 205499

What would you say is a good price?

Most of the people who have bought it are using it for camping, outdoor fire pits and weekend bonfires.

I don't want to stick it to them too bad but also don't want to short myself.

Check out your local cragislist. Prices between here in OH and there in MS you can't compare.

If you are currently selling less than you want, drop your price. If you are selling more than you expected, raise your price. Simple economics 101.

Establish what your hourly rate is (how much you want to pay yourself for the labour), calculate your costs for equipment and consumables including a percentage for maintenance and wear and tear. Cut some wood and keep track of time and cost of materials. If the wood is free to you then you're just charging for the expenses associated with processing it. Calculate how much it cost to process a measurement of wood, one cord say. Then divide the cord into salable packages and assign a price to the package that's equal to that portion of the cord. If you're uncomfortable with the price, you can adjust your hourly rate either up or down to get the price where you like it.

5 or 6 bucks maybe

Is fire wood really that cheap down around you?? A cord 4x4x8 of spruce is 450 bucks here.. :msp_sad: Sure glad i cut my own..

They charge 7 bucks a bundle here looks to be near 8 pieces of wood.. probably wet wood too..

Mo Wood - Mo Money

I have been selling them for $20 per stack and people have been buying them up. Enough so that I have had to cut into my personal stack.

BOOOO HOOOOOO, now its time to cut and dry more...

I guess I am not too far off.

I still want to hear what people on this forum think about the price and maybe even what you would sell for in your area.

Last edited:
I have been selling them for $20 per stack and people have been buying them up. Enough so that I have had to cut into my personal stack.

I still want to hear what people on this forum think about the price and maybe even what you would sell for in your area.

Are YOU happy with what you are making off the stacks? That would be the real issue, not what someone else thinks.

You can buy fresh cut green hardwood Oak, Ash, hard Maple, by me for $80 per cord. Mostly Red and White Oak.

I'd raise the price maybe 30-35 bucks. If your going threw it that fast maybe people will pay more. If you don't get as many buyers as you want lower the price again. Right now your getting about 220 a cord. To sell smaller lots I think you could get more.

Are YOU happy with what you are making off the stacks? That would be the real issue, not what someone else thinks.

That would be my thought as well. As others have noted wood prices are subjective based on region, species and whether or not it is ready to burn or green. If you are satisfied that covers your time and expenses, not sure what others think really matters.

I sell to some close neighbors two full 6 cuft wheelbarrow loads for $20 -- mostly (95+ %) ash with a bit of oak, cherry or elm splashed in. If I were selling to others I would probably charge $30 for ash only -- and they still would be better off than spending the same amount for gas station bundles which go for $5 each for maybe six or so pieces of wood.

What you're charging is exactly the number I came up with... At 150 per cord, you have approximately 15 dollars worth of wood there. The extra five bucks is what I'd want for pulling it out of the pile and stacking it up... And it seems like just the right amount for campers to take for 2 evenings of campfire... :rock:

This year I have decided to start selling some wood. Most of my wood is cut to a stove length of 16 inches since that is what I use.

I sale 3' x 3' stacks of 16 inch wood. All red or white oak.

View attachment 205499

What would you say is a good price?

Most of the people who have bought it are using it for camping, outdoor fire pits and weekend bonfires.

I don't want to stick it to them too bad but also don't want to short myself.

3x3x3 comes to 27 cu ft which is about 1/5 cord. I would rate it a less than that as you pic shows a _very_ loosely ranked stack. Check prices locally and cut your price for that stack by about 1/4.

But then if your market is campers, etc. you are in the 'designer wood' market and can charge a lot more.

Harry K

Up here that would be a $30-$35 stack on the side of the road. There is one guy that has stand that is devided into bins that are
2x2x16" and there are a total of 16 bins. He gets $25 for one bin and he must refill that thing about 3 times a day during a cold snap.

the hell you say???? i try and sell 4'x4'x16" stacked which comes out to 1/6th cord dry red oak for 35.00 and dont get an offer! so hell again, 3x3x16 @ 25 and you cant keep up? raise your prices man!!!!

You just don't know

I must ask how you came up with a 3x3 stack as compared to a more common fraction of a cord...?

HA HA. My mind works in odd ways.

I came up with that measurement by going out in my yard with 2 post and a sledge hammer saying "that looks about right"

Then I filled up my lawn mower trailer even to the top and stacked it. Then I said to myself "I think i'll try to sale that for 20 bucks" & SHAZAAM. People bought it. I believe I have sold 6 stacks in 2 weeks.:biggrin::biggrin:

Back