Stihl 009, 010, 011 oil pump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi-fi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi group, I've got a 011 with a bad oil pump. This pump is a diaphragm pump that seems to use crankcase pressure variations to move the diaphragm which in turn pumps the oil. I've never run across a setup like this but I guess it works. I believe it is the same pump that is used on the 010 and 009, but I could be wrong.

Mine is missing the little spring that goes behind the diaphragm, and there is a small hole in the diaphragm. It is also missing the filter. I just bought the saw off ebay, and it looks like somebody that didn't know what they were doing took it apart and lost the spring, and didn't bother to replace the filter. I called one of my local Stihl dealers to see if they sold a "kit" for this pump, hoping to find the three pieces I needed, but he told me that there was no kit available. He told me the price for a new pump is somewhere around $40.

There is (or was yesterday) a used oil pump on ebay for about $20.

My question is this: Does the diaphragm on this type of pump go bad after a while, such that buying a used pump is a crap shoot, and I might be better off buying a new pump? Or is diaphragm failure a rare occurrance, in which case a used pump would be the way to go.

I hope that made sense, at least well enough to get my question across.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

If it were me needing a diaphram for the oil pump and I bought the used pump, that diaphram would be bad also.

The diaphrams do go bad. If I were you I would purchace a brand new oil pump form your dealer. That is a fair price for a pump and when you install it, it will oil like it should.:givebeer:

No used part will last as long as a new part.

With a used oil pump, if it worked on the saw it was removed from will work when you put it on yours, it's only a question of how long will it work. It all comes down to how many hours a week you use the saw. Limited use, buy a used pump. Lots of use, buy a new one.

All the parts you need to get your pump running are available from your stihl dealer and relatively inexpensively... Not a "kit", but as individual parts. You can rebuild your pump for less than $10.

Now why didn't I think about that?

Lakeside53 said:
All the parts you need to get your pump running are available from your stihl dealer and relatively inexpensively... Not a "kit", but as individual parts. You can rebuild your pump for less than $10.

Thanks much! I guess I just assumed... and you know what that means. I'll stop at a Stihl dealer on my way home tonight! Boy, I feel dumb.

Bill

hi-fi said:
Thanks much! I guess I just assumed... and you know what that means. I'll stop at a Stihl dealer on my way home tonight! Boy, I feel dumb.

Bill

Oh you're not dumb.... your dealer was just taking the easy way out...

Got 'em

Lakeside53 said:

$8.50 for all three oil pump parts plus an exhaust gasket! Thanks Lakeside!

Back