Stihl 009

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmrboy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
How good are these, and when were they made? Got one spotted on CL, says won't start, asking $65.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Made in the early 80s to compete with the small poulans. No AV makes them a handful to operate.

Is it a 009L? the L version had a bit more power. They also had electronic ignition and a chainbrake. If it's one of those, it may be worth that but they sell for $100 give or take in running condition. I think a "non runner" would be worth less than that. If it is an orange one (earlier model) I'd probably pass unless you want one for your collection.

I was given an 011 that wouldn't start. That was cheap as I just cleaned it up and changed the air box lid to a later model one and it works fine.
I would pay $50 for one that was going, or had some of the late model features like electronic ignition and a chain brake.
Once going it is still only suitable for a trail saw, boot of the car saw, or backup. A 12" bar is about the sensible limit. Most seem to have 16" bars on them.
If you want a saw to use often or long then save the $65 and put it towards something better.

I have several of these. I think they are great little saws. Not pro grade, but they are reed valve torquey and have a popping idle that sounds old school. No AV is needed on a little saw, IMO. I put an 009 handle set on an 011 once, and it ran so well that with a 12" bar I routinely kept up with and once even beat a 200T in a three cookie timed cut. WKEND LUMBRJAK was there. The carbs are a pita to install, and the oil pump runs off of crankcase pressure which is kind of weird. The piston connecting rod is attached to the crank with little loose needle bearings, so be careful if you take it apart. THey have cool cast aluminum mufflers. In many ways an old school type saw. I would not buy the orange one though.

I put an 009 handle on an 012 recently, and it is a 45 cc saw in a small package, with a 14" 3/8 picco bar. I found some non-safety chain for it, and it cuts well. I like the old style sound.

65 for a non runner is a bit high.

Ok, now I'm asking questions.

009 handle set on an 011/012?
Haven't had a 009 in my hands, what's the difference?
Mine is an orange one and the ignition is working perfectly - but I've been thinking about adding the chain brake handle and clutch cover from a later saw. Am I likely to run into problems?

I do kinda like mine, but I also own a husky 346 oe and that makes the 011 look like a joke. Took work to get a dolmar 401 to cut with the 011...

Cool sound is right, I'm happier using my 011 in the backyard than a screaming husky. Might not be a lot quieter, but I'm sure it annoys the neighbours less.

I've been looking for a homelite xl to replace the one I got rid of years ago. I thought if I could get this 009 for $50, it might make a viable substitute.

Thoroughly impressed with the 009 EQ I picked up for $80 in excel cond. So much so I bought a non runner for $30, damaged p&c due to lower ring failure. It also had very lows hrs and came with a near new oem bar and chain. At some stage parts will disappear before I get rid of this saw.

Just use it for camping. Can almost keep up with my 020 AVS'. The lack of AV is no big problem as it's an occasional use saw but it has never troubled me anyway. Good ergonomics and I don't feel as concerned when others use it compared to the dedicated top handle saws that can also come camping/4wd'ing.

I've been looking for a homelite xl to replace the one I got rid of years ago. I thought if I could get this 009 for $50, it might make a viable substitute.

There is a running xl with case (looks cuter than crap) on Spokane CL for $50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back