Stihl 009L

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagraAdam

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Does anyone know where i could find some spikes/dogs for a 009L in Australia? or are the screw holes the same spacing as any more modern saws? I'm happy to modify on a grinder if needed..

Thanks!

Stihl part number is 1120 664 0500. Bumper spike mounting hole spacing is about 62-63mm, not the same as others. Closest would be 017/018 spikes with 72-73mm spacing.009L spike.jpg

I just finished servicing a 009L. Fixed the broken pull cord, and the on/off switch that wasn't making good contact in the off position. I cleaned it up and it started on the third pull. Still has plenty of power and good acceleration. Owner says he bought it new in 1984. I told him it was a keeper.

He's run it all these years without any inside metal spikes.

Except that hundreds of them still run and their owners want to keep them going. Gasp!
There is a lot of them out there, I have kept many running in my area through the years. They are starting to pile up now due to a lot of parts becoming NLA. The ones now running will eventually need replacement parts like the oil pump diaphragm and my stock will run out to keep them humming.

There is a lot of them out there, I have kept many running in my area through the years. They are starting to pile up now due to a lot of parts becoming NLA. The ones now running will eventually need replacement parts like the oil pump diaphragm and my stock will run out to keep them humming.
Agreed, and neither will my parted out stock. I have often wondered if I could make one of those pump diaphragms in my shop that worked well enough to keep one going a few years. To me, that's better than nothing. 3-D printing might work.

I had enough spare new ones to fix them until this past spring and havn`t spent any time looking at them to see if they can be rebuilt some way, there is 4 of them sitting waiting for me to get to them that won`t oil, likely they need diaphragms.

Back