Stihl 012 av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyankura

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I bought this saw off Craigslist Saturday for 75 bux. The guy said it sat for 3 years (oil/gas drained) on a shelf. He said if it does not work he would give me back the money no problem. I couldn't wait to get home to strip it and clean and inspect it. I put fresh gas mix and bar oil and it fired after 5-6 pulls on choke but was idling very high. I adusted the idle screw to get it under control and it ran absolutely flawless accept for the oiler. I found a thread here that explained how to tear it apart and clean so I did and no it works very well, maybe a bit too well, not concerned about it though. I have found many pix but this one is different than most. The choke switch/lever goes east west not north south like most I have seen. I say this because I would like to know the age.

It is super clean almost like new but I don't have a operators manual for it can't find it on the Stihl site. I would not mind having a service manual also.

Is it the same as the 011?

How is the saw quality wise?

And is it ok to run Stihl synthetic?

Is it a good saw to use or look at?

Last edited:
I bought this saw off Craigslist Saturday for 75 bux. The guy said it sat for 3 years (oil/gas drained) on a shelf. He said if it does not work he would give me back the money no problem. I couldn't wait to get home to strip it and clean and inspect it. I put fresh gas mix and bar oil and it fired after 5-6 pulls on choke but was idling very high. I adusted the idle screw to get it under control and it ran absolutely flawless accept for the oiler. I found a thread here that explained how to tear it apart and clean so I did and no it works very well, maybe a bit too well, not concerned about it though. I have found many pix but this one is different than most. The choke switch/lever goes east west not north south like most I have seen. I say this because I would like to know the age.

It is super clean almost like new but I don't have a operators manual for it can't find it on the Stihl site. I would not mind having a service manual also.

Is it the same as the 011?

How is the saw quality wise?

And is it ok to run Stihl synthetic?

Is it a good saw to use or look at?

I have an 010AV and I run synthetic. It is a 30 year old saw that still runs and is made of metal so the quality is there. The saw is old, slow, but has torque and should work for what it is made for. Here is mine...
attachment.php

View attachment 252497

I used the 012av this weekend after I bought a new bar/chain. The previous owner didn't really think bar oil was very important. The bar was completely toast, so much that if you straightened the chain in the groove where the chain slides. It was about 1/16"+ higher on one side.

I used it to cut some willow that blew down from a micro burst we had a few weeks ago. I gotta say I am impressed with this little saw! I brought the 261 and the 012 and didn't even fire the 261. I know it is willow 12" to 16" and soft and all...but it really ate the stuff up.

Yes, I took it to the Stihl dealer in town to confirm. The bar was so badly burnt it was hard to see even the numbers that were stamped in it! I will take some pix today after work and post, we all love pix!

I have a question about the ratio to run. I found the 011 manual on the Stihl site and it said to run 40:1. It is ok to 40:1 with the Stihl synthetic...I would think so and probably a dumb question. I am going on the information that the 009,010,011 and 012 are vary similar..

I would just pick a mix, tune the saws to it, and run it. 40:1-50:1 you'll be good to go, I run 44:1 in all my stuff.

My brother has had an 011 since about 1988. With a 16" bar and a picco set up, he has cut an amazing amount of wood with it. When a clean 012 showed up, I couldn't resist nabbing the biggest one in the saw family. I'm blown away by the power! No joke, it really took me by surprise how it seems to have big saw grunt.

The clear weakness is the AV system. Seems the left side turns to goo from oil/mix. May have to buy a set of av rubbers to have when they fail. Or wire it back like others I've seen.

Back