Stihl 012 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrantSFGDS

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Greetings! New guy here. So, I installed a wood/coal stove in my basement last winter and have been playing lumberjack getting ready to feed it this winter. I inherited a MS290 that I have been using as my only saw this year and it's a fantastic saw but it was wearing me out on limbs and small stuff. I decided to pick up a small saw for limbing and I found the 012AV in a pawn shop yesterday. They let me fire it up in the parking lot and run it for a bit. I gave the 79.50, had the chain sharpened, new spark plug and I'm in business! I used it today and it did great. I don't know much about it or how long it may last but it runs great right now. I'm happy with it!

welcome to AS. well just like any other saw.. feed it well, look after it and it will continue to serve you well. just keep an eye on the air filter. very small and choke up quick.

I just got one for about the same price. It's a decent saw, keep the chain sharp and it cuts pretty well. It will cut pretty well in bigger wood too, it's not just a limbing saw.

Little saw that punches well above its weight class. While only 45cc they seem to think they're bigger. Most 45cc saws run out of steam in wood bigger than 8-12". The lil 012 seems to just dig deep, gather its grunt and go. Horizontal reed valve engine grunt. With a sharp chain, they'll surprise you.

Biggest weakness appears to be the AV. The left front handle rubber mount is prone to tear, as well as the goofy ring thing. At their age the fuel line and diaphragms are suspect.

Seriously, what modern 45cc saw has such cojones? Sure that'll rev higher, but stick em in some bigger wood and which one shines?

I did notice that the metal bracket thingy on that left front mount was broken but the rubber is till in one piece. Is that metal thing available? The plug wire is a little torched because it was routed in front of the exhaust port. I rerouted the plug wire and it runs great so I'm not too worried about it at the moment. Maybe one day I'll run across the top handle and convert it to a T model but I'm happy with it as is.

I did notice that the metal bracket thingy on that left front mount was broken but the rubber is till in one piece. Is that metal thing available? The plug wire is a little torched because it was routed in front of the exhaust port. I rerouted the plug wire and it runs great so I'm not too worried about it at the moment. Maybe one day I'll run across the top handle and convert it to a T model but I'm happy with it as is.

Yup, metal ring thing should still be available. I picked one up to replace a weak one along with the rubber piece. I was surprised they had both pieces in stock.

great little saws and light weight i got a 011av with a 12' bar its a screamer :laugh:

The local Stihl place got me the bracket, plug wire and a couple of new rubber mounts.

Greetings! New guy here. So, I installed a wood/coal stove in my basement last winter and have been playing lumberjack getting ready to feed it this winter. I inherited a MS290 that I have been using as my only saw this year and it's a fantastic saw but it was wearing me out on limbs and small stuff. I decided to pick up a small saw for limbing and I found the 012AV in a pawn shop yesterday. They let me fire it up in the parking lot and run it for a bit. I gave the 79.50, had the chain sharpened, new spark plug and I'm in business! I used it today and it did great. I don't know much about it or how long it may last but it runs great right now. I'm happy with it!
20200128_074001.jpg 20200128_074009.jpg

Attachments

• 20200128_074020.jpg
    20200128_074020.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
View attachment 792735 View attachment 792738

I don't know why it didn't post what I wrote.i found this saw on my doorstep one day I got home from work with a note,it said, this was going to get tossed along with some other crap from a storage unit. It's yours enjoy. I did a few things to it, not spending much time on it really, put some mixed fuel in her. Fired right up! This was the before pic. I'm on you tube y'all check me out if you'd like, Chris Liggett the tree fella. Have a great day!! !

Attachments

• 83700.jpeg
    83700.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 17
I don't know why it didn't post what I wrote.i found this saw on my doorstep one day I got home from work with a note,it said, this was going to get tossed along with some other crap from a storage unit. It's yours enjoy. I did a few things to it, not spending much time on it really, put some mixed fuel in her. Fired right up! This was the before pic. I'm on you tube y'all check me out if you'd like, Chris Liggett the tree fella. Have a great day!! !

The only thing that gets dumped in front of my house is usually trash. :laugh:

I found mine on a burn pile! The owner got mad at it because it wouldn't start. I took it home, put a new carburetor on it and 30 years later am still (Stihl) running it. A great little saw that thinks its a lot bigger!

Love the green machine squarebody.

The only one of that series I’ll spend my time on is the 012. The rest I salvage for parts. Especially the oil pump diaphragm which is NLA at my dealer.

The AV buffer should be around for a long time to come as the MS200t uses it. [emoji108]

What I like to do with those is to put an 009 handle on them. It is then a tiny 45 cc reed valve saw with extra torque. would cut granite with a grit chain.... You lose the AV, but it's a small saw for nonprofessional use, so it's not an all day lumberjack machine anyway. I got tired of the oil pumps going out, so I turned loose of them all, and I was never successful rebuilding those carburetors. Loved that popping idle though.

What I like to do with those is to put an 009 handle on them. It is then a tiny 45 cc reed valve saw with extra torque. would cut granite with a grit chain.... You lose the AV, but it's a small saw for nonprofessional use, so it's not an all day lumberjack machine anyway. I got tired of the oil pumps going out, so I turned loose of them all, and I was never successful rebuilding those carburetors. Loved that popping idle though.

Find you a MS191t. 47cc of reed valve snort.

Rare saw actually. I’ve only had one thru my shop. Horrible to overhaul. [emoji3525]

Anything past a spark plug or air filter requires extensive disassembly.

Back