Stihl 015 Build Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen any chain brake models that I recall. I think they're quite rare.
AV's have a bit more valuable in terms of re-sale value IMHO.
I don't know if Stihl ever made an electronic version. All the one's I've messed with had points.

I've never seen any chain brake models that I recall. I think they're quite rare.

Hmmm. Now you have me wondering. I'll double check, but I know there is a spring mechanism on the hand guard for something. My other one just has a rigid mounted hand guard. I'll hafta pull em down off the shelf and check em out.

Great thread!!! And I don't even have this saw! :clap:
I like the idea of you doing other saws.

I dug these out from the basement yesterday. I think I'll be able to build at least a couple of 009's (1 white, 1 orange) and 1 orange 011AV.
I'll take pics and post up another thread in a few weeks. Should be fun.
View attachment 258040
attachment.php

Not to highjack your thread but I know many of these saws have been thrown away because parts are hard to find. Here is the one that I installed a Stihl trigger unit on it instead of points. Here is where I attached mine. It sucks because I drilled a hole in the case but it finds here good and I have not had an issue with it at all.

attachment.php

attachment.php

hey i need parts for a 015L! Don't garage them!! Timely thread, i just traded my lawnmower for this saw that was hard to start and wasn't putting out oil. Turns out the oil tank had goop sludge gel on the bottom and sawdust gel completely plugging the hose lines. The kids have better screens on the little pipes they smoke out of. Bit of varnish in the fuel tank too, Simple Green took good care of. Sealed it back up with Permatex Motoseal. But it appears both my filler caps i guess had vent holes which someone drove screws into and sawed off. So i drilled new holes, 1/16", but now i have a spill hazard. Also someone chipped off the top of the oil pump plunger, i guess they didn't come here for the manual that said use a magnet to pull the pin out first...but it seems it's still functional.

Looking at your pictures ( i am 100% new to chainsaws) I am guessing i have the 3/8 drive setup.

Would love to find 2 good filler caps, a good oil pump/plunger, and also the whole 1/4" setup to swap out - clutch, pump, worm, all that, if anybody has in a box they'll never use. I'm in BC Canada and know all about paypal.

Also if someone could explain why every time i come to this website it's all in a different language??

Great thread!!!
Do you know where to find oil seal ?
13x19x4 and 13x21x4 are very difficult to find...

Yea... I'd like to find a set of crank seals for the 015 as well.

Hi,
I have found the 13x19x4 oil seal on eBay, using the Stihl code 9640-003-1320 (for Stihl 044).
For the oil seal 13x21x4, in local Honda store: Gl1500 Goldwing 1989, OEM number: 91212-MN5-003

Hi,
I have found the 13x19x4 oil seal on eBay, using the Stihl code 9640-003-1320 (for Stihl 044).
For the oil seal 13x21x4, in local Honda store: Gl1500 Goldwing 1989, OEM number: 91212-MN5-003

I went ahead and ordered the 13x19x4 off eBay and I'll try out the honda number today. Thanks a lot for the info!!!

Dug this thread out as I found one of these in my barn today.No spark,well one real good one in the middle of a bunch of cranks.

I was out in the garage tonight working on my 015 that doesn't want to run. I was just thinking about this thread I did a year ago. I was thinking I should save it somewhere for future reference. Hard to believe it's been a year already.
I don't work at that small engine shop any more so I don't have the opportunity to work with as many saws as I once did. Occasionally someone will bring me something to work on but I'll see if I can do another build thread soon.

Anyway, I also have one with no spark. I'm thinking I might get rid of it. It's an 015L.

Latest posts

Back