stihl 017 engine rebuild question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete72

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi all. first post here and glad to be a part of the forum. I recently picked up a 017 and it needs a total engine rebuild. I was looking on ebay and see sellers offering the whole engine kit for ms170 ms180 and 018. my crank is done as well as bearing piston, rings and so on. the kits being offered come with 10mm piston pin and mine is the 8mm. pin size wouldn't matter because its the whole kit with crank-rod-piston-rings-wrist pin and bearing with the cylinder and bottom cover. basically a complete 38mm shortblock. will this work in my saw? the concern I have is the kit crank has 2 big counterweights where mine has just one. the other is what about my flywheel and coil? don't want to order and find out the coil and flywheel won't mount up and timing is different. anyone been down this road?

Hello sir, I have done what you are wanting to do a few times now, each one successfully....the slightly bigger bore engine for the ms180 will fit into the ms170 with out any problem....

As far as the complete engine, in short yes all of the "farmer tec" complete engines I have used work fine.... Some they are have a little less power than the stihl engines, and this is probably true.....

I actually kept the first ms180 that I put a complete engine in just to see how it will hold up.... All i can say is that it has been great, no problems at all.... It's only got roughly 20 tanks threw it, but no problems as of right now....

Now this engine may last 5 more years, or blow up next time I use it.....all I know is that it is a cheap fix to a cheap saw, so I will keep using them until I find a problem.....I know a lot of people down these small "homeowner" saws, but as a guy that cuts wood to heat his house and water soley with wood in the winter, I find these saws great to limb with.... Super light!!!

That's just my 2-pennies.... If you want to know the engine I bought and used I will help you however I can!!!!!

I'm all ears khntr85. what about the coil and flywheel? I read somewhere they would need to be changed as the mounting is different. the link I posted is the cheapest deal I seen on ebay. would I be safe in ordering it? my saw is an early one with a single ring piston.

I'm all ears khntr85. what about the coil and flywheel? I read somewhere they would need to be changed as the mounting is different. the link I posted is the cheapest deal I seen on ebay. would I be safe in ordering it? my saw is an early one with a single ring piston.
As far as the coil and flywheel, on all of mine everything worked out fine, original flywheel fit perfectly....I just put flywheel on, re-gapped the coil and everything was good....

Let me say this, get a manual from this site and double check, because I don't know that the 017 and ms170 are the same build,( they may be the same, but I would double check)...

I have worked on the ms170 and ms180, but haven't messed with the 017.....

So, is the engine "pan" the same on the MS170 as MS180? I recently picked up a new OEM MS180 cylinder / piston kit as a back up for my MS170, and was also wondering if I could just put the new slug and jug on the crank / pan and call it "good"? Do I need a MS180 crank?

I'm pretty sure the pans are different.on my 017 I have just one big counter-weight on the big end of the crankshaft and my pan can only go on one way because of clearance for the weight. I decided to skip the kit and just bought a new piston/ring/ pin kit and set of bearings & seals for the crankshaft. after further research I'm pretty sure the kit wouldn't have worked because of the coil/flywheel concerns I had. I hate having to return stuff so I know what I have coming will take care of my rebuild. hope this helps someone.

It's as easy and cheep to just get the complete 180 block.
Consider swapping the carb but you'll have to drill extra holes to reach the mixing screws.
The only complaint on mine is that I can't hear that 1st pop and need to anticipate flipping the choke before I flood it.
Runs like a rabid beaver after warming up.

Back